Обратно на сайт

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-05-28 22:07:14

Re: Предпереводческий анализ

Коженова,Анненкова

Мы прочитали главу из книги O. Henry “Cabbages and Kings”, The Admiral
1.    Топонимы:
Losada- Лосада
Anchuria- Анчурия (Республика Анчурия - собирательный образ стран Латинской Америки в книге О`Генри "Короли и капуста".)
Coralio- Коралио, маленькая приморская банановая республика
Calle Grande- Калье Гранде
Все тапонимы придуманы автором….
2.    Имена:
Pedro Lafitte- Педро Лафит
Felipe Carrera- Фелипе Карреро
Don Sabas Placido- дон Сабас Пласидо

Устойчивые выражения: to pat his department on the back- погладить по головке
extra dry- Сухое (шампанское) (англ.)

Last edited by TatianaKozhenova (2009-05-28 22:11:24)

#52 2009-05-28 22:43:32

The  sisters James Joyce

The reading of the card persuaded me that he was dead and I was disturbed to find myself at check. Had he not been dead I would have gone into the little dark room behind the shop to find him sitting in his arm-chair by the fire, nearly smothered in his great-coat. Perhaps my aunt would have given me a packet of High Toast for him and this present would have roused him from his stupefied doze. It was always I who emptied the packet into his black snuff-box for his hands trembled too much to allow him to do this without spilling half the snuff about the floor. Even as he raised his large trembling hand to his nose little clouds of smoke dribbled through his fingers over the front of his coat. It may have been these constant showers of snuff which gave his ancient priestly garments their green faded look for the red handkerchief, blackened, as it always was, with the snuff-stains of a week, with which he tried to brush away the fallen grains, was quite inefficacious.

I wished to go in and look at him but I had not the courage to knock. I walked away slowly along the sunny side of the street, reading all the theatrical advertisements in the shop-windows as I went. I found it strange that neither I nor the day seemed in a mourning mood and I felt even annoyed at discovering in myself a sensation of freedom as if I had been freed from something by his death. I wondered at this for, as my uncle had said the night before, he had taught me a great deal. He had studied in the Irish college in Rome and he had taught me to pronounce Latin properly. He had told me stories about the catacombs and about Napoleon Bonaparte, and he had explained to me the meaning of the different ceremonies of the Mass and of the different vestments worn by the priest. Sometimes he had amused himself by putting difficult questions to me, asking me what one should do in certain circumstances or whether such and such sins were mortal or venial or only imperfections. His questions showed me how complex and mysterious were certain institutions of the Church which I had always regarded as the simplest acts. The duties of the priest towards the Eucharist and towards the secrecy of the confessional seemed so grave to me that I wondered how anybody had ever found in himself the courage to undertake them; and I was not surprised when he told me that the fathers of the Church had written books as thick as the Post Office Directory and as closely printed as the law notices in the newspaper, elucidating all these intricate questions. Often when I thought of this I could make no answer or only a very foolish and halting one upon which he used to smile and nod his head twice or thrice. Sometimes he used to put me through the responses of the Mass which he had made me learn by heart; and, as I pattered, he used to smile pensively and nod his head, now and then pushing huge pinches of snuff up each nostril alternately. When he smiled he used to uncover his big discoloured teeth and let his tongue lie upon his lower lip -- a habit which had made me feel uneasy in the beginning of our acquaintance before I knew him well.

As I walked along in the sun I remembered old Cotter's words and tried to remember what had happened afterwards in the dream. I remembered that I had noticed long velvet curtains and a swinging lamp of antique fashion. I felt that I had been very far away, in some land where the customs were strange -- in Persia, I thought.... But I could not remember the end of the dream.

In the evening my aunt took me with her to visit the house of mourning. It was after sunset; but the window-panes of the houses that looked to the west reflected the tawny gold of a great bank of clouds. Nannie received us in the hall; and, as it would have been unseemly to have shouted at her, my aunt shook hands with her for all. The old woman pointed upwards interrogatively and, on my aunt's nodding, proceeded to toil up the narrow staircase before us, her bowed head being scarcely above the level of the banister-rail. At the first landing she stopped and beckoned us forward encouragingly towards the open door of the dead-room. My aunt went in and the old woman, seeing that I hesitated to enter, began to beckon to me again repeatedly with her hand.

I went in on tiptoe. The room through the lace end of the blind was suffused with dusky golden light amid which the candles looked like pale thin flames. He had been coffined. Nannie gave the lead and we three knelt down at the foot of the bed. I pretended to pray but I could not gather my thoughts because the old woman's mutterings distracted me. I noticed how clumsily her skirt was hooked at the back and how the heels of her cloth boots were trodden down all to one side. The fancy came to me that the old priest was smiling as he lay there in his coffin.

#53 2009-05-28 22:44:37

Анненкова Н. Коженова Т.
Мы прочитали отрывок James Joyce “The sisters”.

Топонимы:
Rome - Рим (итал. Roma) — столица Италии, административный центр провинции Рим и области Лацио. Расположен на реке Тибр. Население — 2,8 млн человек.
Рим — один из старейших городов мира, древняя столица Римской империи. Поэтому Рим часто называют «вечным городом». Также Рим называют «городом на семи холмах». Первоначально поселения располагались на холме Палатин, впоследствии были заселены соседние холмы — Капитолий и Квиринал. Несколько позже поселения появились на последних 4 холмах Целий, Авентин, Эсквилин и Виминал.
Persia - Пе́рсия — латинизированное название исторической области Фарс в южном Иране, использовавшееся в западных странах до 1935 года как название всего Ирана. В истории термин Персия также используется применительно к Персидским империям Ахеменидов (VI — IV века до н. э.) и Сасанидов (III — VII века н. э.).

Название происходит от области «Парсуаш» (древне-греч. «Персида», ныне Фарс) на берегу Персидского залива, где жили племена, создавшие империю Ахеменидов.

Этноним персы также применяется к носителям персидского языка, для отличия их от других жителей Ирана, часть из которых также говорит на языках иранской группы (курды, белуджи и т. д.) и таким образом с не меньшим, чем персы, правом может быть названа этническими «иранцами».

Имена и названия:

Napoleon Bonaparte - Наполео́н I Бонапа́рт (итал. Napoleone Buonaparte, фр. Napoléon Bonaparte, 15 августа 1769, Аяччо, Корсика — 5 мая 1821, Лонгвуд, о. Святой Елены) — император Франции в 1804—1815 гг., французский полководец и государственный деятель, заложивший основы современного французского государства.

Cotter - Коттер

Этнонимы:

the Mass - Ме́сса (итал. messa, от лат. missa) — основная литургическая служба в латинском обряде Католической Церкви. Состоит из начальных обрядов, Литургии Слова, Евхаристической Литургии и заключительных обрядов. Во время Евхаристической Литургии, согласно учению церкви, происходит пресуществление: хлеб и вино становятся Телом и Кровью Иисуса Христа.

Eucharist - Евхари́стия (греч. ευχαριστία — благодарение), Свято́е Прича́стие — главнейший, признаваемый всеми христианскими вероисповеданиями обряд; у православных, католиков, лютеран — Таинство, при котором верующие христиане вкушают Тело и Кровь Иисуса Христа под видом хлеба и вина, и, согласно их вероучению, через этот акт взаимной жертвенной любви соединяются непосредственно с самим Богом. Совершение его составляет основу главного христианского богослужения, у католиков, православных, лютеран и некоторых других церквей — Литургии.

Другое:

Tiptoe – ходить на цыпочках

#54 2009-05-28 22:54:05

Третьякова Я., Удилова К., Васильева О., Муратова Д.

т.к. наша работа не была засчитана, мы взяли следующую главу произведения "Трое в лодке"

текст для предпереводческого анализа:
Jerome K. Jerome: Three Men in a Boat
13. CHAPTER XIII
            MARLOW is one of the pleasantest river centres I know of. It is a bustling, lively little town; not very picturesque on the whole, it is true, but there are many quaint nooks and corners to be found in it, nevertheless - standing arches in the shattered bridge of Time, over which our fancy travels back to the days when Marlow Manor owned Saxon Algar for its lord, ere conquering William seized it to give to Queen Matilda, ere it passed to the Earls of Warwick or to worldly-wise Lord Paget, the councillor of four successive sovereigns.
There is lovely country round about it, too, if, after boating, you are fond of a walk, while the river itself is at its best here. Down to Cookham, past the Quarry Woods and the meadows, is a lovely reach. Dear old Quarry Woods! with your narrow, climbing paths, and little winding glades, how scented to this hour you seem with memories of sunny summer days! How haunted are your shadowy vistas with the ghosts of laughing faces! how from your whispering leaves there softly fall the voices of long ago!
From Marlow up to Sonning is even fairer yet. Grand old Bisham Abbey, whose stone walls have rung to the shouts of the Knights Templars, and which, at one time, was the home of Anne of Cleves and at another of Queen Elizabeth, is passed on the right bank just half a mile above Marlow Bridge. Bisham Abbey is rich in melodramatic properties. It contains a tapestry bed-chamber, and a secret room hid high up in the thick walls. The ghost of the Lady Holy, who beat her little boy to death, still walks there at night, trying to wash its ghostly hands clean in a ghostly basin.
Warwick, the king-maker, rests there, careless now about such trivial things as earthly kings and earthly kingdoms; and Salisbury, who did good service at Poitiers. Just before you come to the abbey, and right on the river's bank, is Bisham Church, and, perhaps, if any tombs are worth inspecting, they are the tombs and monuments in Bisham Church. It was while floating in his boat under the Bisham beeches that Shelley, who was then living at Marlow (you can see his house now, in West street), composed THE REVOLT OF ISLAM.
By Hurley Weir, a little higher up, I have often thought that I could stay a month without having sufficient time to drink in all the beauty of the scene. The village of Hurley, five minutes' walk from the lock, is as old a little spot as there is on the river, dating, as it does, to quote the quaint phraseology of those dim days, "from the times of King Sebert and King Offa." Just past the weir (going up) is Danes' Field, where the invading Danes once encamped, during their march to Gloucestershire; and a little further still, nestling by a sweet corner of the stream, is what is left of Medmenham Abbey.
The famous Medmenham monks, or "Hell Fire Club," as they were commonly called, and of whom the notorious Wilkes was a member, were a fraternity whose motto was "Do as you please," and that invitation still stands over the ruined doorway of the abbey. Many years before this bogus abbey, with its congregation of irreverent jesters, was founded, there stood upon this same spot a monastery of a sterner kind, whose monks were of a somewhat different type to the revellers that were to follow them, five hundred years afterwards.
The Cistercian monks, whose abbey stood there in the thirteenth century, wore no clothes but rough tunics and cowls, and ate no flesh, nor fish, nor eggs. They lay upon straw, and they rose at midnight to mass. They spent the day in labour, reading, and prayer; and over all their lives there fell a silence as of death, for no one spoke.
Montmorency went for that poor cat at the rate of twenty miles an hour; but the cat did not hurry up - did not seem to have grasped the idea that its life was in danger. It trotted quietly on until its would-be assassin was within a yard of it, and then it turned round and sat down in the middle of the road, and looked at Montmorency with a gentle, inquiring expression, that said:
We did our marketing after breakfast, and revictualled the boat for three days. George said we ought to take vegetables - that it was unhealthy not to eat vegetables. He said they were easy enough to cook, and that he would see to that; so we got ten pounds of potatoes, a bushel of peas, and a few cabbages. We got a beefsteak pie, a couple of gooseberry tarts, and a leg of mutton from the hotel; and fruit, and cakes, and bread and butter, and jam, and bacon and eggs, and other things we foraged round about the town for.
Our departure from Marlow I regard as one of our greatest successes. It was dignified and impressive, without being ostentatious. We had insisted at all the shops we had been to that the things should be sent with us then and there. None of your "Yes, sir, I will send them off at once: the boy will be down there before you are, sir!" and then fooling about on the landing-stage, and going back to the shop twice to have a row about them, for us. We waited while the basket was packed, and took the boy with us.
We went to a good many shops, adopting this principle at each one; and the consequence was that, by the time we had finished, we had as fine a collection of boys with baskets following us around as heart could desire; and our final march down the middle of the High Street, to the river, must have been as imposing a spectacle as Marlow had seen for many a long day.
When we got down to the landing-stage, the boatman said:
"Let me see, sir; was yours a steam-launch or a house-boat?"
On our informing him it was a double-sculling skiff, he seemed surprised.
We had a good deal of trouble with steam launches that morning. It was just before the Henley week, and they were going up in large numbers; some by themselves, some towing houseboats. I do hate steam launches: I suppose every rowing man does. I never see a steam launch but I feel I should like to lure it to a lonely part of the river, and there, in the silence and the solitude, strangle it.
There is a blatant bumptiousness about a steam launch that has the knack of rousing every evil instinct in my nature, and I yearn for the good old days, when you could go about and tell people what you thought of them with a hatchet and a bow and arrows. The expression on the face of the man who, with his hands in his pockets, stands by the stern, smoking a cigar, is sufficient to excuse a breach of the peace by itself; and the lordly whistle for you to get out of the way would, I am confident, ensure a verdict of "justifiable homicide" from any jury of river men.
"Steam launch, coming!" one of us would cry out, on sighting the enemy in the distance; and, in an instant, everything was got ready to receive her. I would take the lines, and Harris and George would sit down beside me, all of us with our backs to the launch, and the boat would drift out quietly into mid-stream.
Then that launch would give one final shriek of a whistle that would nearly burst the boiler, and she would reverse her engines, and blow off steam, and swing round and get aground; everyone on board of it would rush to the bow and yell at us, and the people on the bank would stand and shout to us, and all the other passing boats would stop and join in, till the whole river for miles up and down was in a state of frantic commotion. And then Harris would break off in the most interesting part of his narrative, and look up with mild surprise, and say to George:
"Why, George, bless me, if here isn't a steam launch!"
And George would answer:
"Well, do you know, I THOUGHT I heard something!"
Upon which we would get nervous and confused, and not know how to get the boat out of the way, and the people in the launch would crowd round and instruct us:
"Pull your right - you, you idiot! back with your left. No, not YOU - the other one - leave the lines alone, can't you - now, both together. NOT THAT way. Oh, you - !"
Then they would lower a boat and come to our assistance; and, after quarter of an hour's effort, would get us clean out of their way, so that they could go on; and we would thank them so much, and ask them to give us a tow. But they never would.

#55 2009-05-28 22:56:43

Третьякова Я., Удилова К., Васильева О., Муратова Д.

1. Об авторе: ДЖЕРОМ Клапка  Джером [Jerome К. Jerome, 1859-1927] - английский писатель-юморист, постоянный сотрудник "Punch", редактировал с 1892-1897 журналы "Лентяй" (Idler) и "Сегодня" (To-day), опубликовал в 1889 "Праздные мысли лентяя" и "Трое в одной лодке", поставившие его в ряды значительных юмористов. Джером - писатель мещанства, неплохо знал быт мелких буржуа, городских служащих. Его любимый образ - разоренный мелкий буржуа, надеющийся вернуть утраченное, разбогатеть, уверенный, что он будет рано или поздно вознагражден за свои добродетели и страдания. Иногда, стремясь к общепонятности и изобретая для своих героев ситуации, Джером впадает в шарж, достаточно грубый.
2. О книге: Самым известным произведением писателя стала повесть "Трое в лодке, не считая собаки" (1889). История путешествия троих друзей и собаки по реке Темза, совершенного в специально нанятой лодке - это великолепный образец английского юмора. Оригинальность сюжета, легкий стиль повествования делают книгу необычайно увлекательной для чтения широкого круга читателей.
3. Топонимы:
Marlow –Марлоу, исторический городок, расположенный на реке Темза и окруженный красивой сельской местностью. Здесь можно увидеть исторические постройки, отведать различные блюда в большом количестве ресторанов.
Cookham – Кукхэм, деревня, расположенная вдоль Темзы
Quarry Woods - Куэррийский лес, расположен вдоль реки Темза
Bisham Abbey – Бишемское аббатство, находится в Бишеме в английском графстве в Беркшире
Marlow Bridge - Марлоуский мост , расположен над рекой темза в Англии между городками Марлоу, Букенгемшир и деревней Бишем в Беркшире
Hurley Weir -  Харлийская плотина на реке Темзе в Харли в английском графстве Беркшира, не далеко от Марлоу, Букенгемшира.
3.2 Имена/исторические персонажи:
Эльгар Саксонский - Во время большой части господства Edward Исповедник это название было проведено мудрым и патриотическим Leofric, мужем Леди Godiva - Leofric умер в 1057, и следовался его сыном Algar, который упомянут в Domesday как державший значительные части королевских владений в этой части Стаффордшира, в господстве Короля Edward.

Algar -  умер за семь лет до завоевания, и его сыновья Edwin и Morcar, (Графы Mercia и Нортамберленд).. подняли оружие от имени своих порабощенных соотечественников в году 1071, и Edwin, предаваемый в руки Норманнов, встретил несвоевременную судьбу; когда его состояния были, конечно конфискованы, и большинство из тех в Стаффордшире оставалось в руках Короля в обзоре Domesday.
Вильге́льм I Завоева́тель (Вильгельм Нормандский или Вильгельм Незаконнорождённый; англ. William I the Conqueror, William the Bastard, фр. Guillaume le Conquérant, Guillaume le Bâtard; 1027/1028—9 сентября 1087) — герцог Нормандии (как Вильгельм II; с 1035 г.) и король Англии (с 1066 г.), организатор и руководитель нормандского завоевания Англии, один из крупнейших политических деятелей Европы XI века.
Матильда Фландрская (англ. Matilda of Flanders; ок. 1031 – 2 ноября 1083) — королева Англии, жена короля Вильгельма I Завоевателя.
Анна Клевская (1515-1557) - четвертая жена короля Генриха VIII; стала королевой в начале 1540 г., а уже в июле того же года парламент по настоянию короля признал его брак недействительным.
Елизавета I (7 сентября 1533 — 24 марта 1603), королева Бесс[1] — королева Англии и королева Ирландии с 17 ноября 1558, последняя из династии Тюдоров. Она унаследовала престол после смерти сестры, королевы Марии I.
Уорик, "делатель королей". - Ричард Невилл, граф Уорик (1428-1471), во время войны Алой и Белой розы захватил в плен короля Генриха VI и возвел на престол Эдуарда IV. Убедившись, что Эдуард - не намерен слепо повиноваться ему, пытался восстановить на престоле Генриха VI, но был убит в бою с войсками, оставшимися верными Эдуарду.

Солсбери - Вильям Монтакют, граф Солсбери (1328-1397); во время битвы при Пуатье (одно из важнейших сражений Столетней войны между Англией и Францией, 1356 г.) командовал арьергардом английских войск и отразил атаку основных сил французской армии.
Сэберт - король восточных саксов; умер в 616 г. н.э.;
Оффа (ум. в 796 г.) - король Мерсии, одного из королевств, основанных англо-саксами на территории Британии.
Лорд Пэджет (Вильям Пэджет; 1505-1565) - видный политический деятель, министр иностранных дел при Генрихе VIII, советник регента в царствование Эдуарда VI (1547-1553), член тайного совета при королеве Марии Кровавой (правила с 1553 по 1558 г.), советник королевы Елизаветы в первые годы ее царствования.
Перси Биши Шелли (англ. Percy Bysshe Shelley; 4 августа 1792, графство Суссекс — 8 июля 1822, утонул в Средиземном море между Специей и Ливорно) — один из величайших английских поэтов XIX в, муж Мэри Уолстонкрафт Шелли. Перси Биши Шелли (англ. Percy Bysshe Shelley; 4 августа 1792, графство Суссекс — 8 июля 1822, утонул в Средиземном море между Специей и Ливорно) — один из величайших английских поэтов XIX в, муж Мэри Уолстонкрафт Шелли.

Тамплиеры (или храмовники) - члены церковно-рыцарского ордена, основанного в 1119 г.
Медменхэмские монахи. - Под этим названием в середине XVIII в. в здании быв. Медменхэмского аббатства группой передовых просветителей был организован клуб с девизом "Делай что хочешь", заимствованным из романа великого французского писателя Франсуа Рабле "Гаргантюа и Пантагрюэль", где описывается утопическая коммуна ученых, поэтов и художников - Телемская обитель (от греч. телема - свободное желание); на воротах Телемской обители и был высечен девиз "Делай что хочешь". Реакционная пресса Англии, стремясь опорочить медменхэмских монахов, приписывала им всякие непристойные поступки.

3.3  этнонимы:
Dane
1) а) датчанин; датчанка б) (the Dane) коллект. датчане
2) датский дог Syn: Great Dane

4. В ходе анализа этого произведения были выявлены следующие реалии:

1. "Hell Fire Club" - Клуб адского пламени (англ. Hellfire Club) — такое название получили в английской историографии несколько закрытых обществ вольнодумцев из либеральных кругов британской аристократии, которые тайно собирались в различных уголках Великобритании на протяжении XVIII века. Девизом этих кружков была раблезианская фраза «Fais ce que tu voudras» («Делай что вздумается»). Деятельность клубов не афишировалась, оттого их занятия и состав участников представляют благодатную почву для спекуляций. В частности, эти клубы считают своими предшественниками приверженцы Телемы.
2. The Cistercian monks - Цистерциа́нцы (лат. Ordo Cisterciensis, OCist), белые монахи, бернардинцы — католический монашеский орден, ответвившийся в XI веке от бенедиктинского ордена. В связи с выдающейся ролью в становлении ордена, которую сыграл святой Бернард Клервосский, в некоторых странах принято называть цистерцианцев бернардинцами.
3. The Knights Templars - Тамплие́ры (фр. templiers от «temple» — храм, «храмовники») или Рыцари Христа и Храма Соломона (лат. Templique Solomonici) — первый по времени основания из религиозных военных орденов. Орден был основан в 1119 году небольшой группой рыцарей во главе с Гуго де Пейном после Первого крестового похода, чтобы поддержать новое Иерусалимское королевство во враждебном окружении побежденных мусульманских соседей, а также обеспечить охрану множеству европейских пилигримов, направившихся в Иерусалим после его завоевания. Следует, конечно, различать реальное основание ордена и начало его деятельности, с одной стороны, и официальное признание Папой Римским в качестве самостоятельного монашеского братства — с другой.

То, что не вошло в другие пункты:
let it live – оставить в живых;
The steam launch – паровой баркас;
to be at one's best — быть на высоте; быть в ударе;
to be down there – быть на месте;
to fool about – болтаться без дела;
a double-sculling skiff - четырехвесельная лодка;
to have the knack of — уметь делать что-либо, быть специалистом;
Pull your right — you, you idiot! - Греби направо — ты, идиот!

#56 2009-05-28 23:34:39

anton162

Предпереводческий анализ Кошкиной Светланы и Седухина Антона

Patrick Suskind. Das Parfum

ERSTER TEIL

Das  Ziegenleder  für die  spanische  Haut!  Baldini erinnerte sich. Er
hatte die Häute vor ein paar  Tagen bei Grimal  bestellt, feinstes weichstes
Waschleder fur die Schreibunterlage des Grafen Verhamont, funfzehn Franc das
Stuck. Aber jetzt brauchte er sie  eigentlich nicht mehr, er konnte sich das
Geld sparen. Andrerseits, wenn er  den Jungen einfach zuruckschickte...? Wer
weiß  -  es  kunnte  einen  ungunstigen  Eindruck  machen,  man  wurde
vielleicht  reden,  Geruchte kunnten  entstehen: Baldini  sei  unzuverlussig
geworden, Baldini bekomme keine  Auftruge  mehr,  Baldini  kunne  nicht mehr
zahlen... und so etwas  war nicht  gut,  nein, nein, denn  so  etwas druckte
womuglich den Verkaufswert des Geschufts. Es  war  besser,  diese  nutzlosen
Ziegenhäute anzunehmen.  Niemand  brauchte  zur  Unzeit  zu  erfahren,  dass
Giuseppe Baldini sein Leben geundert hatte.
     "Komm herein!"
     Er  ließ den  Jungen  eintreten,  und  sie gingen  in  den  Laden
hinuber,  Baldini  mit  dem  Leuchter  voran, Grenouille  mit seinen  Huuten
hinterdrein. Es war das erste Mal,  dass Grenouille  eine Parfumerie betrat,
einen  Ort,  wo  Geruche nicht Beiwerk  waren, sondern  ganz  unverblumt  im
Mittelpunkt des Interesses standen. Naturlich  kannte er  sumtliche Parfum -
und  Drogenhandlungen  der  Stadt,  nächtelang  war  er   vor  den  Auslagen
gestanden,  hatte seine  Nase  an die Spalten  der Turen gedruckt. Er kannte
sumtliche  Dufte, die hier  gehandelt wurden, und hatte sie in seinem Innern
schon  oft  zu herrlichsten  Parfums zusammengedacht. Es  erwartete ihn also
nichts  Neues. Aber  ebenso  wie ein  musikalisches Kind  darauf brennt, ein
Orchester aus der  Nuhe zu sehen  oder  einmal  in der Kirche auf die Empore
hinaufzusteigen, zum  verborgenen Manual  der  Orgel, so  brannte Grenouille
darauf, eine Parfumerie von innen  zu sehen, und er  hatte, als er hurte, es
solle  Leder  zu  Baldini  geliefert  werden,  alles  daran  gesetzt,  diese
Besorgung ubernehmen zu durfen.
     Und nun  stand er in Baldinis Laden, an dem  Ort  von Paris, an dem die
grußte Anzahl professioneller  Dufte auf engstem Raum  versammelt war.
Viel sah  er nicht im voruberfliegenden  Kerzenlicht, nur  kurz den Schatten
des Kontors mit der Waage, die beiden Reiher  uber dem Becken, einen  Sessel
fur  die Kunden, die dunklen Regale an  den Wunden, das kurze Aufblinken von
Messinggerut und weißen Etiketten auf Glusern und Tiegeln; und er roch
auch nicht mehr, als er schon von der Straße her  gerochen hatte. Aber
er spurte  sofort den Ernst, der in diesen Ruumen herrschte, fast muchte man
sagen, den heiligen Ernst, wenn das Wort "heilig" fur Grenouille  irgendeine
Bedeutung besessen  hutte;  den  kalten Ernst  spurte er,  die handwerkliche
Nuchternheit, den  trockenen  Geschuftssinn, die an  jedem Mubel,  an  jedem
Gerut, an  den Bottichen und Flaschen und Töpfen  klebten.  Und  wuhrend  er
hinter  Baldini herging, in Baldinis  Schatten, denn Baldini nahm sich nicht
die  Muhe, ihm zu leuchten, uberkam  ihn der Gedanke,  dass er hierhergehure
und  nirgendwo anders hin, dass er  hier bleiben werde, dass er von hier die
Welt aus den Angeln heben wurde.
     Dieser Gedanke war  naturlich von geradezu  grotesker Unbescheidenheit.
Es  gab   nichts,   aber   schon  wirklich  rein  gar  nichts,   was   einen
dahergelaufenen Gerbereihilfsarbeiter dubioser Abkunft, ohne Verbindung oder
Protektion,  ohne   die  geringste  stundische  Position,  zu  der  Hoffnung
berechtigte, in der renommiertesten Duftstoffhandlung von Paris Fuß zu
fassen; um  so weniger,  als, wie wir  wissen,  die  Auflusung des Geschufts
bereits beschlossene Sache war. Aber  es handelte sich ja auch nicht um eine
Hoffnung,  die  sich  in  Grenouilles  unbescheidenen  Gedanken  ausdruckte,
sondern um eine  Gewissheit. Diesen Laden, so  wusste  er, wurde er nur noch
verlassen, um seine  Kleider bei Grimal  abzuholen, und dann nicht mehr. Der
Zeck  hatte  Blut  gewittert.  Jahrelang  war  er  still  gewesen,  in  sich
verkapselt, und hatte  gewartet. Jetzt ließ er sich fallen  auf Gedeih
und Verderb, vollkommen  hoffnungslos. Und deshalb  war seine Sicherheit  so
groß.
     Sie  hatten  den   Laden  durchquert.  Baldini  uffnete  den  nach  der
Flussseite gelegenen Hinterraum,  der teils als Lager,  teils als  Werkstatt
und  Labor  diente,  wo die Seifen gekocht und die Pomaden  geruhrt und  die
Riechwusser  in bauchigen  Flaschen gemischt wurden. "Da!" sagte er und wies
auf einen großen Tisch, der vor dem Fenster stand, "da leg sie hin!"
     Grenouille trat aus Baldinis Schatten  heraus, legte die  Leder auf den
Tisch, sprang dann rasch wieder zuruck und stellte sich zwischen Baldini und
die  Tur.  Baldini  blieb  noch eine Weile stehen. Er hielt die  Kerze etwas
beiseite, damit keine Wachstropfen  auf den Tisch fielen, und strich mit dem
Fingerrucken uber die glatte Fluche des Leders. Dann schlug  er  das oberste
um  und fuhr uber  die samtige, zugleich rauhe und weiche Innenseite. Es war
sehr  gut, dieses Leder.  Wie geschaffen fur  eine spanische Haut. Es  wurde
sich beim Trocknen  kaum  verziehen, es wurde,  wenn man es  richtig mit dem
Falzbein strich, wieder geschmeidig werden, er spurte das sofort, wenn er es
nur zwischen Daumen und  Zeigefinger  druckte; es konnte Duft fur funf  oder
zehn Jahre aufnehmen; es war ein sehr, sehr gutes  Leder  - vielleicht wurde
er Handschuhe  daraus  machen,  drei Paar fur sich und drei  Paar  fur seine
Frau, fur die Reise nach Messina.
     Er zog seine Hand  zuruck. Ruhrend sah der Arbeitstisch aus: wie  alles
bereit lag;  die Glaswanne fur das Duftbad, die Glasplatte zum Trocknen, die
Reibschalen  zum  Anmischen  der  Tinktur, Pistill und  Spatel,  Pinsel  und
Falzbein und Schere. Es  war,  als  schliefen die Dinge  nur, weil es dunkel
war,  und als wurden  sie  morgen  wieder lebendig. Vielleicht sollte er den
Tisch  mitnehmen  nach  Messina?  Und einen  Teil seines  Werkzeugs, nur die
wichtigsten Stucke...? Man saß und arbeitete sehr gut an diesem Tisch.
Er bestand aus Eichenbrettern,  und  das Gestell ebenfalls, und er war  quer
verstrebt, da zitterte und wackelte nichts an diesem Tisch, dem machte keine
Suure etwas aus und kein ul und kein  Messerschnitt - und ein Vermugen wurde
es  kosten,  ihn nach Messina  zu bringen! Selbst mit dem Schiff! Und  darum
wird er verkauft, der Tisch, morgen wird er verkauft, und alles, was darauf,
darunter und  daneben ist, wird ebenfalls verkauft!  Denn er, Baldini, hatte
zwar ein sentimentales Herz, aber er hatte auch einen starken Charakter, und
deshalb wurde er, so schwer  es ihm fiel, seinen Entschluss durchfuhren; mit
Trunen in den Augen gab er alles weg, aber er wurde es trotzdem tun, denn er
wusste, dass es richtig war, er hatte ein Zeichen bekommen.
     Er drehte  sich um, um  zu  gehen.  Da stand dieser kleine  verwachsene
Mensch in  der  Tur, den hatte er  fast schon vergessen. "Es ist gut", sagte
Baldini.  "Richte  dem  Meister  aus, das Leder ist  gut.  Ich  werde in den
nuchsten Tagen vorbeikommen, um zu bezahlen."
     "Jawohl", sagte Grenouille und blieb stehen und verstellte Baldini, der
sich  anschickte, seine Werkstatt zu verlassen, den Weg. Baldini stutzte ein
wenig, hielt aber in seiner Ahnungslosigkeit das  Verhalten des Jungen nicht
fur Chuzpe, sondern fur Schuchternheit.
     "Was ist?" fragte er. "Hast du mir noch etwas zu bestellen? Nun? Sag es
nur!" Grenouille stand geduckt und schaute Baldini  mit  jenem Blick an, der
scheinbar  ungstlichkeit  verriet,  in  Wirklichkeit  aber  einer  lauernden
Gespanntheit entsprang.
     "Ich  will bei  Ihnen  arbeiten, Maitre  Baldini.  Bei Ihnen,  in Ihrem
Geschuft will ich arbeiten."
     Das war nicht bittend gesagt, sondern  fordernd, und es war auch  nicht
eigentlich gesagt, sondern herausgepresst,  hervorgezischelt, schlangenhaft.
Und wieder verkannte Baldini  das unheimliche Selbstbewusstsein  Grenouilles
als  knabenhafte  Unbeholfenheit.  Er lächelte  ihn freundlich an. "Du  bist
Gerberlehrling, mein  Sohn", sagte er, "ich habe keine Verwendung fur  einen
Gerberlehrling. Ich habe  selbst einen Gesellen, und einen Lehrling  brauche
ich nicht."
     "Sie  wollen  diese  Ziegenleder riechen machen, Maitre Baldini?  Diese
Leder, die ich Ihnen  gebracht habe, die wollen Sie  doch  riechen  machen?"
zischelte Grenouille,  als  habe er Baldinis Antwort  gar nicht zur Kenntnis
genommen.
     "In der Tat", sagte Baldini.
     "Mit  >Amor und  Psyche<  von  Pelissier?" fragte  Grenouille und
duckte  sich  noch tiefer zusammen. Jetzt zuckte ein milder Schrecken  durch
Baldinis  Kurper.  Nicht  weil er sich  fragte, woher der  Bursche  so genau
Bescheid  wusste, sondern einfach wegen der Namensnennung dieses  verhassten
Parfums, an dessen Entrutselung er heute gescheitert war.
     "Wie  kommst  du auf  die  absurde Idee,  ich  wurde ein fremdes Parfum
benutzen, um..."
     "Sie  riechen  danach!" zischelte  Grenouille.  "Sie tragen es  auf der
Stirn, und  in der rechten Rocktasche haben  Sie ein  Tuch, das ist getrunkt
davon. Es ist nicht gut, dieses >Amor und Psyche<, es ist schlecht, es
ist zu viel Bergamotte darin und zu viel Rosmarin und zu wenig Rosenul."
     "Aha", sagte Baldini,  der  von  der  Wendung des Gespruchs  ins Exakte
vullig uberrascht war, "was noch?"
     "Orangenblute,  Limette,  Nelke, Moschus, Jasmin, Weingeist  und etwas,
von dem ich den Namen  nicht kenne, hier, sehen Sie, da! In dieser Flasche!"
Und er deutete mit dem Finger ins Dunkle. Baldini hielt  den Leuchter in die
angegebene Richtung, sein Blick folgte dem  Zeigefinger des Jungen  und fiel
auf eine Flasche im Regal, die mit einem graugelben Balsam gefullt war.
     "Storax?" fragte er.
     Grenouille nickte. "Ja. Das ist drin. Storax." Und dann krummte er sich
wie von einem Krampf zusammengezogen und murmelte  mindestens ein dutzendmal
das Wort >Storax< vor sich hin:
     "Storaxstoraxstoraxstorax..."

1.    Мы изучили данный текст.
Об авторе: Патрик Зюскинд родился 26 марта 1949 в Амбахе у Штарнбергского озера. Один год Зюскинд посещал лекции «Aix-En-Provonce» и совершенствовал свои знания французского языка и французской культуры и в 1974 году закончил обучение. Первый успех на театральной сцене Зюскинду пришел с написанием «Контрабаса». 5 лет спустя (1985) с «Парфюмером» к Зюскинду приходит мировой успех. Для этого произведения Зюскинд объехал места действия романа, вник в секреты парфюмерии в фирме «Фрагонард», а, прежде всего, изучил большое количество литературных и культурологических источников, которые он в последствии в изобилии использовал в романе.

2.    В своем художественном романе автор рассказывает о парфюмере, обладающем уникальным даром распознавать ароматы. Его мечта – создать самые идеальные в мире женские духи. Свой аромат он хочет построить на запахе женственности. Ради того, чтобы добыть главаный компонент для творчества всей своей жизни, он не остановится ни перед чем.

3.    В тексте присутствуют имена собственные:
3.1. Топонимы:
Paris – Париж, столица Франции. Место действия романа;
Messina – Мессина, город, расположенный на острове Сицилия.

3.2. Имена:
Grenouille – Гренуй. Главный герой произведения;
Grimal – Грималь;
Giuseppe Baldini  - Джузеппе Бальдини;
Pelissier – Пельсье;
Graf Verhamont – граф Верамон.

3.3. Исторические имена:
«Amor und Phsyche» -  " Амур и Психея ", древнегреческий миф о любви  сына Афродиты и богини танца Психеи. В данном произведении это название духов.

4.    Выявленные реалии:
Schreibunterlage – бювар. Настольная папка для бумаги и конвертов.
Maitre – мэтр. 1)Учитель, наставник. 2) Деятель искусства или науки – почитаемый авторитет среди своих учеников, своего окружения.
Gehrorock – сюртюк. Род длинного двубортного пиджака, обычно в талию.
5.    Элементы, не вошедшие в предыдущие пункты:
5.1. Инструментарий:
Tiegel – тигель. Сосуд из огнеупорного материала, предназначенный для плавки металлов или прокаливания чего-либо на сильном огне;
Falzbein – гладилка;
Die Glaswanne fur das Duftbad - стеклянная кювета для ароматизации;
Die Glasplatte zum Trocknen - стеклянная пластина для сушки;
Die Reibschalen  zum  Anmischen  der  Tinktur - ступки для подмешивания тинктуры;
Schere – ножницы;
Pinsel – пестик;
Spatel – шпатель;
Pinsel – кисть;
Bottichen – пузырьки;
Topfen – горшки;
Waage – весы.

5.2. Название профессий:
Gerber – дубильщик. Работник, занимающийся дублением кож;
Gerbereihilfsarbeiter – подмастерье кожевника;
Meister мастер, ремесленник, владелец мастерской.

5.3.    Ароматические ингридиенты:
Orangenblute – апельсиновый цвет;
Limette – сладкий лимон;
Nelke –гвоздика;
Moschus – мускус;
Jasmin – жасмин;
Weingeist – винный спирт.

5.4. Специальная лексика:
Tinktur – тинктура. Настой лекарственного вещества на спирте или эфире;
Waschleder – моющаяся замша;
Ziegen – кожа (материал);
Dufte – духи;
Ziegenleder - кожа из козьих шкур.Glattes Ziegenleder — шевро. Сорт мягкой хромовой козьей кожи;
Parfumerie – парфюмерия;
Messing – латунь, желтая медь;
Lager – кладовая;
Werkstatt – мастерская;
Labor – лаборатория;
Seifen – мыло;
Pomaden – помада;
Riechwusser – нюхательные жидкости;
Leder – выделанная кожа, шкурка;
Balsam – бальзам;
Storax – стиракс. 1) Дерево тропических и субтропических стран, в смоле которого содержатся ароматические вещества. 2) Ароматический бальзам, получаемый из различных видов такого дерева и используемый в парфюмерии и медицине. В данном произведении – стираксовое масло.

5.5. Устойчивые выражения:
Geld sparen – экономить деньги;
ein Zeichen bekommen – получить знак;
Gerüchte könnten  entstehen - распускать слухи;
vor Verlangen brennen — гореть желанием;
Leben verändern – изменить жизнь.

#57 2009-05-29 05:05:05

Liliya

Ибраева Л., Худорожкова Е.

Предпереводческий анализ текста. Jerome K. Jerome/Tree men in a boat.

1) Джером Клапка Джером (англ. Jerome K. Jerome, 2мая 1859, Уолсолл, графство Стаффордшир- 14 июня 1927, Нортхемптон) - английский писатель - юморист. Джером - писатель мещанства, неплохо знал быт мелких буржуа, городских служащих. Его любимый образ - разоренный мелкий буржуа, надеющийся вернуть утраченное, разбогатеть, уверенный, что он будет вознаграждён когда - нибудь, за свои добродетель и старания. Произведения Джерома лишены сатирической заострённости. Персонажи ему нужны в первую очередь для того, чтобы ставить их в "смешное" положение, и именно на этих положениях, на "юморе ситуации", Джером концентрирует своё внимание. Иногда, стремясь к общепонятности и изобретая для своих героев ситуации, Джером впадает в шарж, достаточно грубый.

2) Самые известные произведения писателя - повесть "Трое в лодке, не считая собаки" (1889). Джордж, Гаррис и Джей (сокращённое от Джером) задумывают предпринять увесилительную лодочную прогулку вверх по Темзе. Они намереваются превосходно развлечься. отдохнуть от Лондона с его нездоровым климатом и слиться с природой. На нить повествования о путешествии по реке автор нанизывает, как бусы, бытовые эпизоды, анекдоты, забавные приключения.

3) Географические названия:
    Picnic Point - Пикник пойнт
    Kent - Кент (графство Англии)
    Magna Charta Island - Остров Великой Хартии Вольностей
    Ankerwyke House - Энкервик-Хаус (дом, в котором была подписана Великая Хартия Вольностей)
    Runnymede - Раннимид (луг на берегу Темзы, в графстве Суррей)
    Hever castle - замок, в котором жила семья Анны Болейн. Он был построен в 13м веке, в 1462             
       стал поместьем Джеффри Болейн, в 1505 году туда переехала семья Болейн)
    Buckinghamshire - Бакингемшир (графство Англии) историческое и церемониальное графство в центре
       Англии. Входит в состав Юго - Восточной Англии.
    Windsor - Виндзор (город в Англии, графство Беркшир)
    Wraysbury - деревня в графстве Беркшир, в Англии.

4) Имена исторических личностей: Henry VIII - Генрих VIII (1491- 1547) - король Англии с 1509, 
    сын и    наследник короля Генриха VII, второй британский монарх из династии Тюдоров.
    Anne Boleyn - Анна Болейн (употреблялось также написание Bullen; ок. 1507 - 19 мая 1536, Лондон)
     - вторая жена (с 25 января 1533 до своей казни) короля Англии Генриха VIII. Мать Елизаветы I.

5) Magna Charta - Великая хартия вольностей - грамота, подписанная в 1215 году английским королём
     Иоанном Безземельным. Ограничивала (в основном в интересах аристократии) права короля,   
     предоставляла некоторые привилегии рыцарству, верхушке свободного крестьянства, городам.
     В  Хм веке сыграла известную роль в политической борьбе XIII-XIV вв., приведшей к возникновению
     английской сословной монархии. Забытая в конце  XV и в XVI веке она была использована лидерами
     парламентской оппозиции накануне и в начале Английской буржуазной революции (XVIII в) для
     обоснования права парламента контролировать действия королевской власти.

6) The Irish Question - Ирландский вопрос. В 1801 году новым законом Ирландия была присоединена к
    Объединенному Королевству. в то время большую часть жителей Ирландии составляли выходцы из
    Шотландии и Англии. Таким образом, сложились два противоборствующих лагеря: коренные ирландцы,
    выступающие против присоединения и приезжие.

7) Устойчивые выражения:
    You don't say so - Что вы говорите!
    Billing and cooing - нежничать и ворковать
    Moon around - ходить как приведение

#58 2009-05-31 13:40:18

Анненкова Н. Коженова Т.   ЭУ-27161

Мы изучили статью Марка Стайна «A land fit for superheroes»
В дополнение к вышесказанному хочется отметить:

Реалии:

Multiplex - многозальный кинотеатр (не менее 5 залов)

Superheroes  -  Супергерой (иногда пишется как супер-герой или супер герой) — вымышленный персонаж, наделённый неординарными физическими способностями, которые он направляет на свершение подвигов во имя общего блага. После дебюта прототипического супергероя по имени Супермен в 1938 году, идея супергероя — от кратких, эпизодических приключенческих историй до многолетних и многосерийных саг — стала доминирующей для американских комиксов, из которых она впоследствии распространилась и на другие медиа. Само слово супергерой восходить по крайне мере к 1917 году.
Согласно большинству определений, персонажи не обязательно должны обладать сверхчеловеческой силой чтобы называться супергероями,

Millennium –миллениум(тысячелетие) -  тысячелетняя годовщина; празднование тысячелетней годовщины (обычно 2000-го года)

Last edited by Natasha_Annenkova (2009-05-31 13:42:16)

#59 2009-05-31 16:21:37

Jakovasaurus

Давыдов Д.
Дополнение к пред переводческому анализу статьи Марка Стайна «A land fit for superheroes»

3.1.Топонимы

Matobo – Матобо, Африканская республика

Jamaica Bay – Ямайская бухта

3.2. Имена

Mister Fantastic - Мистер Фантастик, может превращать своё тело (или его части) в суперэластичное вещество, что позволяет ему растягивать, сжимать, расширять, удлинять, заключать, или каким либо другим образом изменять свою физическую форму по желанию.

Jesse Walker – Джэсси Уолкер

Дядя Бен (Паркер) – дядя Питера Паркера ( Человек паук)

Jeremy Irons -  Джереми Айронз, английский актёр, лауреат премии «Оскар» за лучшую мужскую роль (1990) и ряда других престижных наград.

3.4.Названия компаний

Halliburton — американская компания, оказывающая сервисные услуги в нефте- и газодобывающей отрасли. Компания производит оборудование для бурения скважин, производит обслуживание трубопроводов, резервуарных парков, разрабатывает IT-решения для отрасли.

4.Реалии

Phoenix –вообще, мифологическая птица, обладающая способностью сжигать себя. предвидя смерть, сжигает себя в собственном гнезде, а из пепла появляется птенец. По другим версиям мифа — возрождается из пепла. В данном случае способность Джины Грей превращаться в данное животное, в комиксах она несколько раз была перед лицом смерти, первый раз в классической «Саге о Тёмном Фениксе», но ввиду связи с Силой Феникса, она, как и её тёзка, восстаёт из мёртвых.

Dark Phoenix – особая сила Джины Грей, Темный Фенникс

Ant-Man - Человек-муравей / Хэнк Пим, Ученый, который ранее работал на правительство, но позже решил работать самостоятельно. Может мысленно контролировать муравьёв, а так же увеличиваться, до очень больших размеров.

Green Arrow - Зеленая Стрела, Изумрудный Лучник. Настоящее имя: Оливер Квин один из лучших лучников на всём белом свете. Он способен выпустить 29 стрел в течение одной минуты. Его арсенал насчитывает несколько видов стрел с уловками, которые он уже почти не использует. Оливер способен попасть почти в любую часть человеческого тела, но при этом он старается не убивать своих противников.

Britannic lion – Британский лев, присутствует на государственном гербе Великобритании.

Y-front - "Уай-франт", фирменное название белья для мужчин и мальчиков производства компании "Лайл энд Скотт" [Lyle & Scott]

Knickers - дамские панталоны, трусики

Bush Doctrine - новая идеология внешней политики США, которую назвают доктриной Буша. Доктрина Буша содержит несколько элемент: 1)аксиома сверхдержавности
2) принцип “кто не с нами, тот против нас” 3) Глобальную “войну с терроризмом” предлагается рассматривать как аналог “холодной войны” Запада против советского коммунизма.

Spidey = Spider Man

Дядя Бен (Паркер) – дядя Питера Паркера ( Человек паук)

Джокер — персонаж комиксов о Бэтмене и фильмов Бэтмен (1989) и Тёмный рыцарь (2008)

The Incredible - Халк (Доктор Брюс Баннер; англ. Hulk, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner) — фантастический супергерой, появляющийся в изданиях Marvel Comics. Созданный Стэном Ли и Джеком Кирби, он впервые появился в комиксе The Incredible Hulk («Невероятный Халк») #1 (май 1962 г.). С тех пор он стал одним из самых узнаваемых персонажей Marvel Comics.

5.Элементы, не вошедшие в предыдущие пункты

stiff upper lip  - ] "плотно сжатые губы"; ≈ английский характер ( символ выдержки и упорства, умения не пасовать перед трудностями )

#60 2009-05-31 16:45:54

Предпереводческий анализ Браженко . А и Оганесовой И .

В целях избежания повторов  , а именно- первого и второго  пунктов , мы начали свой предпереводческий анализ с третьего пункта .

Выбрана книга  Патрика Зюскинда "Парфюмер"- (  Patrick Sueskind "Das Parfum".)

Второя глава ( Kapitel 2)
     Einige Wochen  sputer stand die Amme Jeanne Bussie mit einem Henkelkorb
in  der  Hand vor der Pforte des  Klosters von  Saint-Merri  und  sagte  dem
uffnenden Pater  Terrier,  einem  etwa  funfzigjuhrigen kahlkupfigen, leicht
nach  Essig riechenden  Munch  "Da!"  und  stellte  den  Henkelkorb  auf die
Schwelle.
     "Was  ist  das?" sagte Terrier  und  beugte  sich  uber  den  Korb  und
schnupperte daran, denn er vermutete Essbares.
     "Der Bastard der Kindermurderin aus der Rue aux Fers!"
     Der Pater kramte mit dem Finger im Henkelkorb herum, bis er das Gesicht
des schlafenden Suuglings freigelegt hatte.
     "Gut schaut er aus. Rosig und wohlgenuhrt."
     "Weil er sich an mir vollgefressen hat. Weil  er mich  leergepumpt  hat
bis  auf  die Knochen.  Aber  damit ist  jetzt Schluss. Jetzt kunnt  Ihr ihn
selber weiterfuttern mit Ziegenmilch, mit  Brei,  mit Rubensaft.  Er  frisst
alles, der Bastard."
     Pater Terrier war ein gemutlicher Mann. In seine Zustundigkeit fiel die
Verwaltung des klusterlichen Karitativfonds, die Verteilung von Geld an Arme
und Bedurftige. Und er erwartete, dass man ihm dafur Danke sagte und ihn des
weiteren nicht belustigte.  Technische Einzelheiten  waren ihm sehr zuwider,
denn  Einzelheiten  bedeuteten  immer Schwierigkeiten,  und  Schwierigkeiten
bedeuteten  eine Sturung seiner  Gemutsruhe,  und  das konnte er  gar  nicht
vertragen. Er urgerte sich, dass er  die Pforte uberhaupt geuffnet hatte. Er
wunschte, dass diese Person ihren Henkelkorb  nuhme und nach Hause ginge und
ihn in Ruhe ließe mit ihren Suuglingsproblemen.
     Langsam richtete  er sich  auf und  sog mit  einem Atemzug den Duft von
Milch  und  kusiger Schafswolle  ein, den die Amme  verstrumte.  Es war  ein
angenehmer Duft.
     "Ich verstehe nicht, was du willst. Ich verstehe wirklich nicht, worauf
du  hinauswillst.  Ich  kann  mir nur  vorstellen, dass  es  diesem Suugling
durchaus nicht schaden  wurde, wenn er  noch geraume Zeit an  deinen Brusten
luge."
     "Ihm nicht", schnarrte die Amme  zuruck, "aber mir. Zehn Pfund habe ich
abgenommen und  dabei gegessen fur drei.  Und  wofur?  Fur drei Franc in der
Woche!"
     "Ach, ich verstehe", sagte Terrier fast erleichtert, "ich bin im Bilde:
Es geht also wieder einmal ums Geld."
     "Nein!" sagte die Amme.
     "Doch! Immer geht es ums Geld. Wenn an diese Pforte geklopft wird, geht
es ums Geld. Einmal wunschte ich mir, dass ich  uffnete, und es  stunde  ein
Mensch da, dem  es um etwas  anderes ginge. Jemand, der beispielsweise  eine
kleine Aufmerksamkeit vorbeibruchte. Beispielsweise etwas Obst oder ein paar
Nusse.  Es  gibt doch  im Herbst eine  Menge  Dinge,  die  man vorbeibringen
kunnte. Blumen vielleicht.  Oder wenn bloß jemand kume und  freundlich
sagte:  >Gott  zum  Gruße, Pater Terrier,  ich wunsche Ihnen  einen
schunen Tag!< Aber das werde ich  wohl  nie mehr  erleben.  Wenn  es kein
Bettler ist, dann ist es ein Hundler, und wenn es kein Hundler ist, dann ist
es ein Handwerker, und wenn er kein  Almosen will, dann  prusentiert er eine
Rechnung. Ich kann schon gar nicht mehr auf die Straße gehen. Wenn ich
auf  die  Straße  gehe,  bin  ich  nach drei  Schritten umzingelt  von
Individuen, die Geld wollen!"
     "Nicht von mir", sagte die Amme.
     "Aber ich  sage dir eines: Du bist nicht die  einzige Amme im Sprengel.
Es gibt  Hunderte von erstklassigen Ziehmuttern, die sich darum reißen
werden, diesen entzuckenden Suugling fur  drei Franc pro  Woche an die Brust
zu   legen   oder   ihm   Brei   oder   Sufte   oder   sonstige   Nuhrmittel
einzuflußen..."
     "Dann gebt ihn einer von denen!"
     "...  Andrerseits  ist  es nicht  gut, ein Kind so herumzuschubsen. Wer
weiß, ob es mit anderer  Milch so gut gedeiht wie mit  deiner. Es  ist
den  Duft  deiner Brust gewuhnt,  musst  du  wissen, und den  Schlag  deines
Herzens."
     Und abermals nahm er  einen  tiefen  Atemzug  vom warmen Dunst, den die
Amme  verstrumte,  und  sagte dann,  als er merkte, dass seine  Worte keinen
Eindruck auf sie gemacht hatten:
     "Nimm jetzt das Kind mit nach Hause! Ich werde die Sache  mit dem Prior
besprechen.  Ich werde  ihm vorschlagen, dir kunftig vier Franc in der Woche
zu geben."
     "Nein", sagte die Amme.
     "Also gut: funf!"
     "Nein."
     "Wie viel verlangst du  denn noch?" schrie Terrier sie  an. "Funf Franc
sind ein Haufen  Geld fur die untergeordnete Aufgabe,  ein  kleines Kind  zu
ernuhren!"
     "Ich will  uberhaupt kein Geld", sagte  die Amme. "Ich will den Bastard
aus dem Haus haben."
     "Aber warum denn, liebe Frau?" sagte Terrier und fingerte wieder in dem
Henkelkorb herum. "Er ist doch ein allerliebstes Kind. Er sieht rosa aus, er
schreit nicht, er schluft gut, und er ist getauft."
     "Er ist vom Teufel besessen."
     Rasch zog Terrier seine Finger aus dem Korb.
     "Unmuglich!  Es ist  absolut  unmuglich, dass  ein  Suugling vom Teufel
besessen  ist.  Ein  Suugling  ist kein  Mensch, sondern  ein  Vormensch und
besitzt noch  keine voll  ausgebildete Seele.  Infolgedessen  ist er fur den
Teufel uninteressant. Spricht  er vielleicht schon? Zuckt es in  ihm? Bewegt
er Dinge im Zimmer? Geht ein ubler Gestank von ihm aus?"
     "Er riecht uberhaupt nicht", sagte die Amme.
     "Da  hast du es! Das  ist ein eindeutiges Zeichen.  Wenn  er vom Teufel
besessen wure, musste er stinken."
     Und  um die  Amme zu beruhigen und seinen  eigenen  Mut unter Beweis zu
stellen, hob Terrier den Henkelkorb hoch und hielt ihn sich unter die Nase.
     "Ich rieche nichts Absonderliches", sagte  er,  nachdem  er  eine Weile
geschnuppert hatte, "wirklich nichts Absonderliches. Mir scheint allerdings,
als ob da etwas aus der Windel ruche." Und er hielt ihr den  Korb hin, damit
sie seinen Eindruck bestutige."Das meine ich nicht", sagte die Amme unwirsch
und  schob den Korb von sich. "Ich meine nicht das, was in  der Windel  ist.
Seine Exkremente riechen wohl. Er selbst, der Bastard selbst, riecht nicht."
     "Weil er gesund ist", rief Terrier, "weil er gesund ist, deshalb riecht
er  nicht!  Nur  kranke  Kinder  riechen,  das ist doch bekannt. Bekanntlich
riecht ein  Kind, das  Blattern hat, nach  Pferdedung,  und  eines,  welches
Scharlachfieber hat, nach alten  upfeln, und  ein schwindsuchtiges Kind, das
riecht nach Zwiebeln.  Es ist gesund, das ist alles, was ihm fehlt. Soll  es
denn stinken? Stinken denn deine eigenen Kinder?"
     "Nein", sagte  die Amme. "Meine Kinder  riechen so,  wie Menschenkinder
riechen sollen."
     Terrier stellte den Henkelkorb vorsichtig auf den Boden zuruck, denn er
fuhlte,  wie  die ersten  Wallungen von Wut  uber  die Widerborstigkeit  der
Person  in  ihm aufstiegen.  Es  war  nicht auszuschließen, dass er im
Fortgang  des Disputes  beide  Arme zur  freieren Gestik benutigte,  und  er
wollte nicht, dass der Suugling  dadurch Schaden  nuhme. Vorerst  allerdings
verknotete  er seine  Hunde  hinter  dem  Rucken, streckte  der  Amme seinen
spitzen Bauch entgegen und fragte scharf: "Du behauptest also zu wissen, wie
ein Menschenkind, das ja  immerhin auch - daran muchte ich  erinnern,  zumal
wenn es getauft ist - ein Gotteskind ist, zu riechen habe?"
     "Ja", sagte die Amme.
     "Und  behauptest  ferner,  dass, wenn es  nicht ruche, wie du meintest,
dass es riechen solle - du, die Amme Jeanne Bussie aus der Rue  Saint-Denis!
-,  es dann  ein Kind des Teufels  sei?"  Er schwang die Linke hinter seinem
Rucken hervor  und  hielt  ihr  drohend  den gebogenen  Zeigefinger  wie ein
Fragezeichen vors Gesicht. Die Amme uberlegte.  Es war ihr nicht recht, dass
das Gespruch mit einem  Mal zu einem theologischen Verhur ausartete, bei dem
sie nur unterliegen konnte.
     "Das will ich nicht  gesagt haben", antwortete sie ausweichend. "Ob die
Sache etwas  mit dem  Teufel zu tun hat  oder  nicht,  das musst  Ihr selbst
entscheiden, Pater Terrier, dafur  bin ich nicht  zustundig. Ich  weiß
nur eins: dass mich vor diesem Suugling  graust, weil  er  nicht riecht, wie
Kinder riechen sollen."
     "Aha",  sagte  Terrier  befriedigt und  ließ  seinen  Arm  wieder
zuruckpendeln. "Das mit dem  Teufel nehmen wir also wieder zuruck. Gut. Aber
nun sage  mir gefulligst: Wie  riecht  ein Suugling denn, wenn er so riecht,
wie du glaubst, dass er riechen solle? Na?"
     "Gut riecht er", sagte die Amme.
     "Was  heisst  >gut<?" brullte Terrier sie an. "Gut riecht vieles.
Ein  Bund  Lavendel  riecht gut.  Suppenfleisch riecht gut.  Die  Gurten von
Arabien riechen gut. Wie riecht ein Suugling, will ich wissen?"
     Die Amme zugerte. Sie wusste wohl,  wie Suuglinge rochen, sie wusste es
ganz genau, sie hatte doch  schon Dutzende  genuhrt, gepflegt,  geschaukelt,
gekusst...  sie konnte  sie  nachts  mit  der  Nase  finden,  sie  trug  den
Suuglingsgeruch selbst jetzt deutlich in  der Nase. Aber sie hatte  ihn noch
nie mit Worten bezeichnet.
     "Na?" bellte Terrier und knipste ungeduldig an seinen Fingernugeln.
     "Also -",  begann die Amme, "es ist nicht ganz leicht zu sagen, weil...
weil, sie  riechen nicht  uberall gleich,  obwohl  sie uberall gut  riechen,
Pater, verstehen Sie, also  an den Fußen  zum Beispiel, da riechen sie
wie ein glatter warmer Stein -  nein eher wie Topfen... oder wie Butter, wie
frische Butter, ja genau: wie  frische Butter  riechen  sie.  Und am  Kurper
riechen  sie wie ... wie eine Galette, die man in Milch  gelegt hat.  Und am
Kopf,  da oben,  hinten  auf dem Kopf, wo das  Haar  den  Wirbel macht,  da,
schauen  Sie, Pater,  da, wo bei  Ihnen nichts mehr ist...", und  sie tippte
Terrier,  der  uber diesen Schwall  detaillierter Dummheit  fur einen Moment
sprachlos geworden war  und gehorsam den Kopf gesenkt hatte, auf die Glatze,
"...  hier, genau  hier,  da  riechen sie  am besten.  Da  riechen sie  nach
Karamel, das riecht so suß, so wunderbar, Pater, Sie machen sich keine
Vorstellung! Wenn man sie da  gerochen hat, dann liebt man sie, ganz  gleich
ob es die eignen  oder  fremde sind. Und  so und nicht anders  mussen kleine
Kinder  riechen. Und wenn sie nicht so  riechen,  wenn sie da oben gar nicht
riechen, noch weniger  als kalte  Luft, so  wie der da, der Bastard, dann...
Sie  kunnen  das  erkluren,  wie Sie  wollen,  Pater,  aber ich" -  und  sie
verschrunkte  entschlossen die Arme  unter  ihrem Busen  und  warf  einen so
angeekelten Blick auf den Henkelkorb  zu ihren Fußen, als enthielte er
Kruten -, "ich, Jeanne Bussie, werde das da nicht mehr zu mir nehmen!"
     Pater Terrier hob langsam den gesenkten Kopf und fuhr  sich ein paarmal
mit dem Finger uber die Glatze, als  wolle  er dort Haare ordnen, legte  den
Finger wie zufullig unter seine Nase und schnupperte nachdenklich.
     "Wie  Karamel...?"  fragte  er   und  versuchte,  seinen  strengen  Ton
wiederzufinden...  "Karamel! Was weisst  du von Karamel? Hast  du schon  mal
welches gegessen?"
     "Nicht  direkt",  sagte  die  Amme.  "Aber  ich  war  einmal  in  einem
großen Hotel in der  Rue  Saint-Honore  und  habe  zugesehen,  wie  es
gemacht wurde aus geschmolzenem Zucker und Rahm. Es roch so gut, dass ich es
nicht mehr vergessen habe."
     "Jaja. Schon recht",  sagte Terrier und  entfernte den Finger  von  der
Nase. "Bitte  schweige  jetzt!  Es  ist fur  mich uberaus anstrengend,  mich
weiterhin  auf diesem  Niveau mit  dir  zu  unterhalten. Ich stelle fest, du
weigerst dich, aus welchen Grunden auch immer, den dir anvertrauten Suugling
Jean-Baptiste  Grenouille weiter zu  ernuhren,  und  erstattest ihn  hiermit
seinem provisorischen Vormund, dem Kloster von Saint-Merri zuruck. Ich finde
das betrublich, aber ich kann es wohl nicht undern. Du bist entlassen."
     Damit  packte  er  den Henkelkorb,  nahm  noch  einen Atemzug  von  dem
verwehenden warmen, wolligen Milchdunst und warf  das Tor  ins Schloss. Dann
ging er in sein Buro.

3.1 Топонимы:
Saint-Merri  - Сан-Мэрри- церковь, собор Святой Марии в Париже.
Rue aux Fers - Рю о Фер- одна из центральных улиц в Париже.
Rue  Saint-Honore  - Рю Сан-Онор- одна из главных торговых улиц в Париже.

3.2 Имена
Amme Jeanne Bussie -Ам Жан Бюсси.
Pater  Terrier - Пате Террьер.
Jean-Baptiste  Grenouille - Жан-Батист Гренуй.

4. Выявление Реалий.
Franc- историческая французская монета XIV—XVII веков. Позже — денежная единица Франции, Бельгии, Люксембурга (до перехода на евро), а также Швейцарии, и некоторых других стран.

Pfund- денежная единица, появившаяся в Англии и первоначально обозначавшая фунт серебра.

5. Элементы, не вошедшие в предыдущие пункты.

Karamel - кондитерское изделие или ингредиент такого изделия, получаемый нагреванием сахара или увариванием сахарного раствора (карамелизация).

Galette - (фр. galette, от старофр. gal — валун, голыш) — пищевой продукт, изготовляемый из пшеничной муки с добавлением дрожжей, химических разрыхлителей, соли и сахара. В зависимости от применяемого сырья различают два типа галет — простые (т. н. галетное печенье, крекер) и жирные (содержащие 10-18 % сливочного масла или маргарина).

Ein  Bund  Lavendel  - букет лаванды.
Seugling - сосунок.
Die  Gurten von Arabien - арабский кушак.

Karitativfonds - благотворительный фонд.

5.2 Название профессий
die Amme - (устар.) кормилица,мамка,нянька.
Patier- пастор.
Ziehmutter- приёмная мать.

5.5. Устойчивые выражения
Gott  zum  Gruße-  хвала Всевышнему!
es geht um - речь идет о....
an die Brust zu  legen  - приложить к груди
im Bilde sein- питать иллюзии; надеяться вопреки
vom Teufel besessen sein- дьявольское отродье

#61 2009-06-01 11:37:04

Elena

It's the Demography, Stupid
The real reason the West is in danger of extinction.

by MARK STEYN
Wednesday, January 4, 2006 12:01 A.M. EST

Most people reading this have strong stomachs, so let me lay it out as baldly as I can: Much of what we loosely call the Western world will not survive this century, and much of it will effectively disappear within our lifetimes, including many if not most Western European countries. There'll probably still be a geographical area on the map marked as Italy or the Netherlands--probably--just as in Istanbul there's still a building called St. Sophia's Cathedral. But it's not a cathedral; it's merely a designation for a piece of real estate. Likewise, Italy and the Netherlands will merely be designations for real estate. The challenge for those who reckon Western civilization is on balance better than the alternatives is to figure out a way to save at least some parts of the West.

One obstacle to doing that is that, in the typical election campaign in your advanced industrial democracy, the political platforms of at least one party in the United States and pretty much all parties in the rest of the West are largely about what one would call the secondary impulses of society--government health care, government day care (which Canada's thinking of introducing), government paternity leave (which Britain's just introduced). We've prioritized the secondary impulse over the primary ones: national defense, family, faith and, most basic of all, reproductive activity--"Go forth and multiply," because if you don't you won't be able to afford all those secondary-impulse issues, like cradle-to-grave welfare.

Americans sometimes don't understand how far gone most of the rest of the developed world is down this path: In the Canadian and most Continental cabinets, the defense ministry is somewhere an ambitious politician passes through on his way up to important jobs like the health department. I don't think Don Rumsfeld would regard it as a promotion if he were moved to Health and Human Services.

The design flaw of the secular social-democratic state is that it requires a religious-society birthrate to sustain it. Post-Christian hyperrationalism is, in the objective sense, a lot less rational than Catholicism or Mormonism. Indeed, in its reliance on immigration to ensure its future, the European Union has adopted a 21st-century variation on the strategy of the Shakers, who were forbidden from reproducing and thus could increase their numbers only by conversion. The problem is that secondary-impulse societies mistake their weaknesses for strengths--or, at any rate, virtues--and that's why they're proving so feeble at dealing with a primal force like Islam.

Speaking of which, if we are at war--and half the American people and significantly higher percentages in Britain, Canada and Europe don't accept that proposition--then what exactly is the war about?

We know it's not really a "war on terror." Nor is it, at heart, a war against Islam, or even "radical Islam." The Muslim faith, whatever its merits for the believers, is a problematic business for the rest of us. There are many trouble spots around the world, but as a general rule, it's easy to make an educated guess at one of the participants: Muslims vs. Jews in "Palestine," Muslims vs. Hindus in Kashmir, Muslims vs. Christians in Africa, Muslims vs. Buddhists in Thailand, Muslims vs. Russians in the Caucasus, Muslims vs. backpacking tourists in Bali. Like the environmentalists, these guys think globally but act locally.

Yet while Islamism is the enemy, it's not what this thing's about. Radical Islam is an opportunistic infection, like AIDS: It's not the HIV that kills you, it's the pneumonia you get when your body's too weak to fight it off. When the jihadists engage with the U.S. military, they lose--as they did in Afghanistan and Iraq. If this were like World War I with those fellows in one trench and us in ours facing them over some boggy piece of terrain, it would be over very quickly. Which the smarter Islamists have figured out. They know they can never win on the battlefield, but they figure there's an excellent chance they can drag things out until Western civilization collapses in on itself and Islam inherits by default.

That's what the war's about: our lack of civilizational confidence. As a famous Arnold Toynbee quote puts it: "Civilizations die from suicide, not murder"--as can be seen throughout much of "the Western world" right now. The progressive agenda--lavish social welfare, abortion, secularism, multiculturalism--is collectively the real suicide bomb. Take multiculturalism. The great thing about multiculturalism is that it doesn't involve knowing anything about other cultures--the capital of Bhutan, the principal exports of Malawi, who cares? All it requires is feeling good about other cultures. It's fundamentally a fraud, and I would argue was subliminally accepted on that basis. Most adherents to the idea that all cultures are equal don't want to live in anything but an advanced Western society. Multiculturalism means your kid has to learn some wretched native dirge for the school holiday concert instead of getting to sing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" or that your holistic masseuse uses techniques developed from Native American spirituality, but not that you or anyone you care about should have to live in an African or Native American society. It's a quintessential piece of progressive humbug.

#62 2009-06-01 11:38:32

Elena

Шанцева Е.

1. Я проанализировала отрывок из статьи Марка Стейна «It's the Demography, Stupid». Текст относится к публицистическому стилю, насыщен эмоционально-экспрессивной лексикой.

2. Марк Стейн – американский политический обозреватель.

3. В тексте выявлены следующие имена собственные:

3.1. Топонимы
Netherlands – Нидерланды
Italy - Италия
Istanbul – Стамбул
the West – Запад
the United States – Соединенные Штаты
Canada – Канада
Britain – Великобритания
Continental – континентальный
European Union – Европейский Союз
Europe – Европа
Palestine - Палестина
Kashmir – Кашмир (штат в Индии)
Africa – Африка
Thailand – Тайланд
the Caucasus – Кавказ
Bali – Бали
U.S. – США
Afghanistan – Афганистан
Iraq – Ирак
Bhutan – Бутан
Malawi – Малави, государство, расположенное в юго-восточной части Африканского континента

3.2. Имена
Don Rumsfeld – Дональд Генри Рамсфелд, 21-й министр обороны США в администрации Джорджа Буша-младшего и 13-й - при Джеральде Форде. Также он является самым молодым и, одновременно, самым старым политиком, когда либо занимавшим этот пост, к тому же единственным, кто дважды, с перерывом в 25 лет, становился американским министром обороны.
Arnold Toynbee - Арнольд Джозеф Тойнби (14 апреля 1889 — 22 октября 1975) — британский историк, автор «Постижения истории» – двенадцатититомного анализа рождения и упадка цивилизаций. Удостоен Ордена Кавалеров Чести.

3.3. Этнонимы
Western European – западно-европейский
Americans – американцы
Canadian – канадский
Christian – христианство
Catholicism – католичество
Mormonism – мормонство
Islam – ислам
The Muslim – мусульмане
Jews – иудеи
Hindus – индусы
Russians – русские
Buddhists – буддисты
Islamism – мусульманство

4. Реалии
The Shakers - шекеры - религиозная секта в Северной Америке. Начало ее нужно искать в Провансе и Дофинэ, где мы находим первых деятелей ее в XVIII в.; оттуда некоторые проповедники перебрались в 1716 г. в Англию, предсказывая близкий конец мира и требуя покаяния.
St. Sophia's Cathedral – собор св. Софии
Health and Human Services – департамент здравоохранения
«Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer» - «Красноносый олень Рудольф» - рождественская песня

То, что не вошло в предыдущие пункты:
AIDS - Acquired immune deficiency syndrome – синдром приобретенного иммунного дефицита (СПИД)
HIV - Human immunodeficiency virus - ВИЧ; вирус иммунодефицита человека
cradle-to-grave – от колыбели до могилы, пожизненный

#63 2009-06-01 14:28:39

Elena

Шанцева Е.

В дополнение к анализу 13 главы «Трое в лодке, не считая собаки»

Топонимы
Marlow Manor – поместье Марлоу
Sonning – Соннинг, город на Темзе
Salisbury – Солсбери, Уилтшир
Gloucestershire - Глостершир (графство Англии)
High Street – Хай Стрит

Имена
Wilkes – Джон Уилкс, публицист и политический деятель, в молодости был членом Клуба адского пламени

Реалии
Islam – ислам, мусульманство
the Henley week

Другие элементы
Sir - сэр (вежливая форма обращения)
bless me - господи!; ей-богу!; помилуй!; честное слово!

#64 2009-06-01 19:40:11

Jakovasaurus

Давыдов Д.

О'Henry Cabbages and Kings
Chapter III

Smith

Goodwin and the ardent patriot, Zavalla, took all the precautions
that their foresight could contrive to prevent the escape of
President Miraflores and his companion.  The sent trusted messengers
up the coast to Solitas and Alazan to warn the local leaders of
the flight, and to instruct them to patrol the water line and arrest
the fugitives at all hazards should they reveal themselves in that
territory.  After this was done there remained only to cover
the district about Coralio and await the coming of the quarry.
The nets were well spread.  The roads were so few, the opportunities
for embarkation so limited, and the two or three probable points of
exit so well guarded that it would be strange indeed if there should
slip through the meshes so much of the country's dignity, romance,
and collateral.  The president would, without doubt, move as secretly
as possible, and endeavor to board a vessel by stealth from some
secluded point along the shore.

On the fourth day after the receipt of Englehart's telegram the
~Karlsefin~, a Norwegian steamer chartered by the New Orleans fruit
trade, anchored off Coralio with three horse toots of her siren.
The ~Karlesfin~ ws not one of the line operated by the Vesuvius Fruit
Company.  She was something of a dilettante, doing odd jobs for a
company that was scarcely important enough to figure as a rival to
the Vesuvius.  The movements of the ~Karlesfin~ were dependent upon
the state of the market.  Sometimes she would ply steadily between
the Spanish Main and New Orleans in the regular transport of fruit;
next she would be maing erratic trips to Mobile or Charleston, or
even as far north as New York, according to the distribution of
the fruit supply.

Goodwin lounged upon the beach with the susual crowd of idlers that
had gathered to view the steamer.  Now that President Miraflores
might be expected to reach the borders of his abjured country at any
time, the orders were to keep a strict and unrelenting watch.  Every
vessel that approached the shores might now be considered a possible
means of escape for the fugitives; and an eye was kept even on
the slopes and dories that belonged to the sea-going contingent
of Coralio.  Goodwin and Zavalla moved everywhere, but without
ostentation, watching the loopholes of escape.

The customs official crowded importantly into their boat and rowed
out to the ~Karlesfin~.  A boat from the steamer landed her purser
with his papers, and took out the quarantine doctor with his green
umbrella and clinical thermometer.  Next a swarm of Caribs began
to load upon lighters the thousands of bunches of bananas heaped
upon the shore and row them out to the steamer.  The ~Karlesfin~
had no passenger list, and was soon done with the attention of
the authorities.  The purser declared that the steamer would remain
at anchor until morning, taking on her fruit during the night.
The ~Karlesfin~ had come, he said, from New York, to which port her
latest load of oranges and coconuts had been conveyed.  Two or three
of the freighter sloops were engaged to assist in the work, for
the captain was anxious to make a quick return in order to reap
the advantage offered by a certain dearth of fruit in the States.

About four o'clock in the afternoon another of those marine monsters,
not very familiar in those waters, hove in sight, following the
fateful ~Idalia~--a graceful steam yacht, painted a light buff,
clean-cut as a steel engraving.  The beautiful vessel hovered off
shore, see-sawing the waves as lightly as a duck in a rain barrel.
A swift boat manned by a crew in uniform came ashore, and a stocky-
built man leaped to the sands.

The newcomer seemed to turn a disapproving eye upon the rather motley
congregation of native Anchurians, and made his way at once toward
Goodwin, who was the most conspicuously Anglo-Saxon figure present.
Goodwin greeted him with courtesy.

Conversation developed that the newly landed one was named Smith,
and that he had come in a yacht.  A meagre biography, truly; for
the yacht was most apparent; and the "Smith" not beyond a reasonable
guess before the revelation.  Yet to the eye of Goodwin, who has
seen several things, there was a discrepancy between Smith and his
yacht.  A bullet-headed man Smith was, with an oblique, dead eye
and the moustache of a cocktail-mixer.  And unless he had shifted
costumes before putting off for shore he had affronted the deck of
his correct vessel clad in a pearl-gray derby, a gay plaid suit and
vaudeville neckwear.  Men owning pleasure yachts generally harmonize
better with them.

Smith looked business, but he was no advertiser.  He commented upon
the scenery, remarking upon its fidelity to the pictures in the
geography; and then inquired for the United States consul.  Goodwin
pointed out the starred-and-striped bunting hanging from above the
little consulate, which was concealed behind the orange-trees.

"Mr. Geddie, the consul, will be sure to be there," said Goodwin.
"He was very nearly drowned a few days ago while taking a swim in the
sea, and the doctor has ordered him to remain indoors for some time."

Smith ploughed his way through the sand to the consulate, his
haberdashery creating violent discord against the smooth tropical
blues and greens.

Geddie was lounging in his hammock, somewhat pale of face and languid
in pose.  On that night when the ~Valhalla's~ boat had brought him
ashore apparently drenched to death by the sea, Doctor Gregg and his
other friends had toiled for hours to preserve the little spark of
life that remained to him.  The bottle, with its impotent message,
was gone out to sea, and the problem that it had provoked was reduced
to a simple sum in addition--one and one make two, by the rule of
arithmetic; one by the rule of romance.

There is a quaint old theory that man may have two souls--a
peripheral one which serves ordinarily, and a central one which
is stirred only at certain times, but then with activity and vigor.
While under the domination of the former a man will shave, vote, pay
taxes, give money to his family, buy subscription books and comport
himself on the average plan.  But let the central soul suddenly
become dominant, and he may, in the twinkling of an eye, turn upon
the partner of his joys with furious execration; he may change his
politics while you could snap your fingers; he may deal out deadly
insult to his dearest friend; he may get him, instanter, to a
monastery or a dance hall; he may elope, or hang himself--or he may
write a song or poem, or kiss his wife unasked, or give his funds
to the search of a microbe.  Then the peripheral soul will return;
and we have our safe, sane citizen again.  It is but the revolt of
the Ego against Order; and its effect is to shake up the atoms only
that they may settle where they belong.

Geddie's revulsion had been a mild one--no more than a swim in
a summer sea after so inglorious an object as a drifting bottle.
And now he was himself again.  Upon his desk, ready for the post,
was a letter to his government tendering his resignation as consul,
to be effective as soon as another could be appointed in his place.
For Bernard Brannigan, who never did things in a half-way manner,
was to take Geddie at once for a partner in his very profitable
and various enterprises; and Paula was happily engaged in plans for
refurnishing and decorating the upper story of the Brannigan house.

The consul rose from his hammock when he saw the conspicuous stranger
at this door.

"Keep your seat, old man," said the visitor, with an airy wave of his
large hand.  "My name's Smith; and I've come in a yacht.  You are the
consul--is that right?  A big, cool guy on the beach directed me here.
Thought I'd pay my respects to the flag."

"Sit down, said Geddie.  "I've been admiring your craft ever since it
came in sight.  Looks like a fast sailer.  What's her tonnage?"

"Search me!" said Smith.  "I don't know what she weighs in at.  But
she's got a tidy gait.  The ~Rambler~--that's her name--don't take
the dust of anything afloat.  This is my first trip on her.  I'm
taking a squint along this coast just to get an idea of the countries
where the rubber and red pepper and revolutions come from.  I had no
idea there was so much scenery down here.  Why, Central Park ain't
in it with this neck of the woods.  I'm from New York.  They get
monkeys, and coconuts, and parrots down here--is that right?"

"We have them all," said Geddie.  "I'm quite sure that our fauna and
flora would take a prize over Central Park."

"Maybe they would," admitted Smith, cheerfully.  "I haven't seen them
yet.  But I guess you've got us skinned on the animal and vegetation
question.  You don't have much travel here, do you?"

"Travel?" queried the consul.  "I suppose you mean passengers on
steamers.  No; very few people land in Coralio.  An investor now and
then--tourists and sightseers generally go further down the coast to
one of the larger towns where there is a harbor."

"I see a ship out there loading up with bananas," said Smith.  "Any
passengers come on her?"

"That's the ~Karlesfin~," said the consul.  "She's a tramp fruiter--
made her last trip to New York, I believe.  No; she brought no
passengers.  I saw her boat come ashore, and there was no one.  About
the only exciting recreation we have here is watching steamers when
they arrive; and a passenger on one of them generally causes the
whole town to turn out.  If you are going to remain in Coralio
a while, Mr. Smith, I'll be glad to take you around to meet some
people.  There are four or five American chaps that are good to know,
besides the native high-fliers."

"Thanks," said the yachtsman, "but I wouldn't put you the trouble.
I'd like to meet the guys you speak of, but I won't be here long
enough to do much knocking around.  That cool gent on the beach spoke
of a doctor; can you tell me where to find him?  The ~Rambler~ ain't
quite as steady on her feet as a Broadway hotel; and a fellow gets
a touch of seasickness now and then.  Thought I'd strike the croaker
for a handful of the little sugar pills, in case I need 'em."

"You will be apt to find Doctor Gregg at the hotel," said the consul.
"You can see it from the door--it's that two-story building with the
balcony, where the orange-trees are."

The Hotel de los Extranjeros was a dreary hostelry, in great disuse
both by strangers and friends.  It stood at a corner of the Street
of the Holy Sepulchre.  A grove of small orange-trees crowded against
one side of it, enclosed by a low, rock wall over which a tall man
might easily step.  The house was of plastered adobe, stained a
hundred shades of color by the salt breeze and the sun.  Upon its
upper balcony opened a central door and two windows containing broad
jalousies instead of sashes.

The lower floor communicated by two doorways with the narrow,
rock-paved sidewalk.  The ~pulperia~--or drinking shop--of the
proprietess, Madama Timotea Ortiz, occupied the ground floor.  On
the bottles of brandy, ~anisada~, Scotch "smoke," and inexpensive
wines behind the little counter the dust lay thick save where the
fingers of infrequent customers had left irregular prints.  The upper
story contained four or five guest-rooms which were rarely put to
their destined use.  Sometimes a fruitgrower, riding in from his
plantation to confer with his agent, would pass a melancholy night
in the dismal upper story; sometimes a minor native official on some
trifling government quest would have his pomp and majesty awed by
Madama's sepulchral hospitality.  But Madama sat behind her bar
content, not desiring to quarrel with Fate.  If any one required
meat, drink or lodging at the Hotel de los Extranjeros they had but
to come, and be served.  ~Esta bueno~.  If they came not, why, then,
they came not.  ~Esta bueno~.

As the exceptional yachtsman was making his way down the precarious
sidewalk of the Street of the Holy Sepulchre, the solitary permanent
guest of that decaying hotel sat at its door, enjoying the breeze
from the sea.

Doctor Gregg, the quarantine physician, was a man of fifty or sixty,
with a florid face and the longest beard between Topeka and Terra
del Fuego.  He held his position by virtue of an appointment by
the Board of Health of a seaport city in one of the Southern states.
That city feared the ancient enemy of every Southern seaport--the
yellow fever--and it was the duty of Doctor Gregg to examine crew and
passengers of every vessel leaving Coralio for preliminary symptoms.
The duties were light, and the salary, for one who lived in Coralio,
ample.  Surplus time there was in plenty; and the good doctor added
to his gains by a large private practice among the residents of the
coast.  The fact that he did not know ten words of Spanish was no
obstacle; a pulse could be felt and a fee collected without one being
a linguist.  Add to the description the facts that the doctor had
a story to tell concerning the operation of trepanning which no
listener had ever allowed him to conclude, and that he believed
in brandy as a prophylactic; and the special points of interest
possessed by Doctor Gregg will have become exhausted.

The doctor had dragged a chair to the sidewalk.  He was coatless,
and he leaned back against the wall and smoked, while he stroked his
beard.  Surprise came into his pale blue eyes when he caught sight
of Smith in his unusual and prismatic clothes.

"You're Doctor Gregg--is that right?" said Smith, feeling the dog's
head pin in his tie.  "The constable--I mean the consul, told me
you hung out at this caravansary.  My name's Smith; and I came in a
yacht.  Taking a cruise around, looking at the monkeys and pineapple-
trees.  Come inside and have a drink, Doc.  This cafe looks on the
blink, but I guess it can set out something wet."

"I will join you, sir, in just a taste of brandy," said Doctor Gregg,
rising quickly.  "I find that as a prophylactic a little brandy is
almost a necessity in this climate."

As they turned to enter the ~pulperia~ a native man, barefoot,
glided noiselessly up and addressed the doctor in Spanish.  He was
yellowish-brown, like an over-ripe lemon; he wore a cotton shirt and
ragged linen trousers girded by a leather belt.  His face was like
an animal's, live and wary, but without promise of much intelligence.
This man jabbered with animation and so much seriousness that it
seemed a pity that his words were to be wasted.

Doctor Gregg felt his pulse.

"You sick?" he inquired.

"~Mi mujer es enferma en la casa,~" said the man, thus endeavoring
to convey the news, in the only language open to him, that his wife
lay ill in her palm-thatched hut.

The doctor drew a handful of capsules filled with a white powder from
his trousers pocket.  He counted out ten of them into the native's
hand, and held up his forefinger impressively.

"Take one," said the doctor, "every two hours."  He then held up two
fingers, shaking them emphatically before the native's face.  Next he
pulled out his watch and ran his finger round the dial twice.  Again
the two fingers confronted the patient's nose.  "Two--two--two
hours," repeated the doctor.

"~Si, Senor,~" said the native, sadly.

He pulled a cheap silver watch from his own pocket and laid it in
the doctor's hand.  "Me bring," said he, struggling painfully with
his scant English, "other watchy tomorrow," then he departed
downheartedly with his capsules.

"A very ignorant race of people, sir," said the doctor, as he slipped
the watch into his pocket.  "He seems to have mistaken my directions
for taking the physic for the fee.  However, it is all right.  He owes
me an account, anyway.  The chances are that he won't bring the other
watch.  You can't depend on anything they promise you.  About that
drink, now?  How did you come to Coralio, Mr. Smith?  I was not aware
that any boats except the ~Karlesfin~ had arrived for some days."

The two leaned against the deserted bar; and Madama set out a bottle
without waiting for the doctor's order.  There was no dust on it.

After they had drank twice Smith said:

"You say there were no passengers on the ~Karlesfin~, Doc?  Are you
sure about that?  It seems to me I heard somebody down on the beach
say that there was one or two aboard."

"They were mistaken, sir.  I myself went out and put all hands
through a medical examination, as usual.  The ~Karlesfin~ sails
as soon as she gets her bananas loaded, which will be about daylight
in the morning, and she got everything ready this afternoon.  No,
sir, there was no passenger list.  Like that Three-Star?  A French
schooner landed two slooploads of it a month ago.  If any customs
duties on it went to the distinguished republic of Anchuria you may
have my hat.  If you won't have another, come out and let's sit
in the cool a while.  It isn't often we exiles get a chance to talk
with somebody from the outside world."

The doctor brought out another chair to the sidewalk for his new
acquaintance.  The two seated themselves.

"You are a man of the world," said Doctor Gregg; "a man of travel
and experience.  Your decision in a matter of ethics and, no doubt,
on the points of equity, ability and professional probity should be
of value.  I would be glad if you will listen to the history of a
case that I think stands unique in medical annals.

"About nine years ago, while I was engaged in the practice of
medicine in my native city, I was called to treat a case of contusion
of the skull.  I made the diagnosis that a splinter of bone was
pressing upon the brain, and that the surgical operation known as
trepanning was required.  However, as the patient was a gentleman
of wealth and position, I called in for consultation Doctor--"

Smith  rose from his chair, and laid a hand, soft with apology,
upon the doctor's shirt sleeve.

"Say, Doc," he said, solemnly, "I want to hear that story.  You've
got me interrested; and I don't want to miss the rest of it.  I know
it's a loola by the way it begins; and I want to tell it at the next
meeting of the Barney O'Flynn Association, if you don't mind.
But I've got one or two matters to attend to first.  If I get 'em
attended to in time I'll come right back and hear you spiel the rest
before bedtime--is that right?"

"By all means," said the doctor, "get your business attended to,
and then return.  I shall wait up for you.  You see, one of the most
prominent physicians at the consultation diagnosed the trouble as
a blood clot; another said it was an abscess, but I--"

"Don't tell me now, Doc.  Don't spoil the story.  Wait till I come
back.  I want to hear it as it runs off the reel--is that right?"

The mountains reached up their bulky shoulders to receive the level
gallop of Apollo's homing steeds, the day died in the lagoons and
in the shadowed banana groves and in the mangrove swamps, where the
great blue crabs were beginning to crawl to land for their nightly
ramble.  And it died, at last, upon the highest peaks.  Then the
brief twilight, ephemeral as the flight of a moth, came and went;
the Southern Cross peeped with its topmost eye above a row of palms,
and the fire-flies heralded with their torches and approach of
soft-footed night.

In the offing the ~Karlesfin~ swayed at anchor, her lights seeming
to penetrate the water to countless fathoms with their shimmering,
lanceolate reflections.  The Caribs were busy loading her by means
of the great lighters heaped full from the piles of fruit ranged upon
the shore.

On the sandy beach, with his back against a coconut-tree and the stubs
of many cigars lying around him, Smith sat waiting, never relaxing
his sharp gaze in the direction of the steamer.

The incongruous yachtsman had concentrated his interest upon the
innocent fruiter.  Twice had he been assured that no passengers had
come to Coralio on board of her.  And yet, with a persistence not to
be attributed to an idling voyager, he had appealed the case to the
higher court of his own eyesight.  Surprisingly like some gay-coated
lizard, he crouched at the foot of the coconut palm, and with the
beady, shifting eyes of the selfsame reptile, sustained his espionage
on the ~Karlesfin~.

On the white sands a whiter gig belonging to the yacht was drawn up,
guarded by one of the white-ducked crew.  Not far away in a ~pulperia~
on the shore-following Calle Grande three other sailors swaggerred
with their cues around Coralio's solitary billiard-table.  The boat
lay there as if under orders to be ready for use at any moment.
There was in the atmosphere a hint of expectation, of waiting for
something to occur, which was foreign to the air of Coralio.

Like some passing bird of brilliant plumage, Smith alights on this
palmy shore but to preen his wings for an instant and then to fly
away upon silent pinions.  When morning dawned there was no Smith,
no waiting gig, no yacht in the offing, Smith left no intimation of
his mission there, no footprints to show where he had followed the
trail of his mystery on the sands of Coralio that night.  He came;
he spake his strange jargon of the asphalt and the cafes; he sat
under the coconut-tree, and vanished.  The next morning Coralio,
Smithless, ate its fried plantain and said:  "The man of pictured
clothing went himself away."  With the ~siesta~ the incident passed,
yawning, into history.

So, for a time, must Smith pass behind the scenes of the play.
He comes no more to Coralio, nor to Doctor Gregg, who sits in vain,
wagging his redundant beard, waiting to enrich his derelict audience
with his moving tale of trepanning and jealousy.

But prosperously to the lucidity of these loose pages, Smith shall
flutter among them again.  In the nick of time he shall come to tell
us why he strewed so many anxious cigar stumps around the coconut
palm that night.  This he must do; for, when he sailed away before
the dawn in his yacht ~Rambler~, he carried with him the answer to
a riddle so big and preposterous that few in Anchuria had ventured
even to propound it.

3.1Топонимы

Alazan – Алазан
Сфкшиы - Карибы
New Orleans – Новый Орлеан
New York – Нью Йорк
Coralio - Коралио

3.2 Имена

Madama Timotea Ortiz – мадам Тимотеа Ортиз   
Zavalla - Завалла
Miraflores - Мирофлорес
Smith - Смит

3.3Этноним

Norwegian - норвежский
Anglo-Saxon - Англо - Саксонский

3.4 Название компаний

the Vesuvius Fruit Company – компания Везувийские Фрукты
Karlesfin

4 Реалии

Central Park - Центральный парк в Нью-Йорке является одним из крупнейших и известнейших парков в мире. Парк расположен на острове Манхэттен между 59-ой и 110-ой улицей и Пятой и Восьмой авеню и таким образом имеет прямоугольную форму.

5. Устойчивое выражение

“to pay respects to the flag” – отдать честь флагу (морск)

6. Элементы не вошедшие в пред.пункты

Mobile – Мобайл – название корабля
Charleston – Чарльстон – название корабля
Rambler – Рамблер – название корабля
Southern Cross – Южный Крест ( созвездие)

#65 2009-06-01 20:15:24

Jakovasaurus

Давыдов Д.

Jerome K. Jerome: Three Men in a Boat
CHAPTER XIV.

WARGRAVE. - WAXWORKS. - SONNING. - OUR STEW. - MONTMORENCY IS SARCASTIC.
- FIGHT BETWEEN MONTMORENCY AND THE TEA-KETTLE. - GEORGE`S BANJO STUDIES.
- MEET WITH DISCOURAGEMENT. - DIFFICULTIES IN THE WAY OF THE MUSICAL
AMATEUR. - LEARNING TO PLAY THE BAGPIPES. - HARRIS FEELS SAD AFTER
SUPPER. - GEORGE AND I GO FOR A WALK. - RETURN HUNGRY AND WET. - THERE IS
A STRANGENESS ABOUT HARRIS. - HARRIS AND THE SWANS, A REMARKABLE STORY. -
HARRIS HAS A TROUBLED NIGHT.

WE caught a breeze, after lunch, which took us gently up past Wargrave
and Shiplake.  Mellowed in the drowsy sunlight of a summer`s afternoon,
Wargrave, nestling where the river bends, makes a sweet old picture as
you pass it, and one that lingers long upon the retina of memory.

The "George and Dragon" at Wargrave boasts a sign, painted on the one
side by Leslie, R.A., and on the other by Hodgson of that ilk.  Leslie
has depicted the fight; Hodgson has imagined the scene, "After the Fight"
- George, the work done, enjoying his pint of beer.

Day, the author of SANDFORD AND MERTON, lived and - more credit to the
place still - was killed at Wargrave.  In the church is a memorial to
Mrs. Sarah Hill, who bequeathed 1 pound annually, to be divided at
Easter, between two boys and two girls who "have never been undutiful to
their parents; who have never been known to swear or to tell untruths, to
steal, or to break windows."  Fancy giving up all that for five shillings
a year!  It is not worth it.

It is rumoured in the town that once, many years ago, a boy appeared who
really never had done these things - or at all events, which was all that
was required or could be expected, had never been known to do them - and
thus won the crown of glory.  He was exhibited for three weeks afterwards
in the Town Hall, under a glass case.

What has become of the money since no one knows.  They say it is always
handed over to the nearest wax-works show.

Shiplake is a pretty village, but it cannot be seen from the river, being
upon the hill.  Tennyson was married in Shiplake Church.

The river up to Sonning winds in and out through many islands, and is
very placid, hushed, and lonely.  Few folk, except at twilight, a pair or
two of rustic lovers, walk along its banks.  `Arry and Lord Fitznoodle
have been left behind at Henley, and dismal, dirty Reading is not yet
reached.  It is a part of the river in which to dream of bygone days, and
vanished forms and faces, and things that might have been, but are not,
confound them.

We got out at Sonning, and went for a walk round the village.  It is the
most fairy-like little nook on the whole river.  It is more like a stage
village than one built of bricks and mortar.  Every house is smothered in
roses, and now, in early June, they were bursting forth in clouds of
dainty splendour.  If you stop at Sonning, put up at the "Bull," behind
the church.  It is a veritable picture of an old country inn, with green,
square courtyard in front, where, on seats beneath the trees, the old men
group of an evening to drink their ale and gossip over village politics;
with low, quaint rooms and latticed windows, and awkward stairs and
winding passages.

late to push on past Reading, we decided to go back to one of the
Shiplake islands, and put up there for the night.  It was still early
when we got settled, and George said that, as we had plenty of time, it
would be a splendid opportunity to try a good, slap-up supper.  He said
he would show us what could be done up the river in the way of cooking,
and suggested that, with the vegetables and the remains of the cold beef
and general odds and ends, we should make an Irish stew.

It seemed a fascinating idea.  George gathered wood and made a fire, and
Harris and I started to peel the potatoes.  I should never have thought
that peeling potatoes was such an undertaking.  The job turned out to be
the biggest thing of its kind that I had ever been in.  We began
cheerfully, one might almost say skittishly, but our light-heartedness
was gone by the time the first potato was finished.  The more we peeled,
the more peel there seemed to be left on; by the time we had got all the
peel off and all the eyes out, there was no potato left - at least none
worth speaking of.  George came and had a look at it - it was about the
size of a pea-nut.  He said:

"Oh, that won`t do!  You`re wasting them.  You must scrape them."

So we scraped them, and that was harder work than peeling.  They are such
an extraordinary shape, potatoes - all bumps and warts and hollows.  We
worked steadily for five-and-twenty minutes, and did four potatoes.  Then
we struck.  We said we should require the rest of the evening for
scraping ourselves.

I never saw such a thing as potato-scraping for making a fellow in a
mess.  It seemed difficult to believe that the potato-scrapings in which
Harris and I stood, half smothered, could have come off four potatoes. 
It shows you what can be done with economy and care.

George said it was absurd to have only four potatoes in an Irish stew, so
we washed half-a-dozen or so more, and put them in without peeling.  We
also put in a cabbage and about half a peck of peas.  George stirred it
all up, and then he said that there seemed to be a lot of room to spare,
so we overhauled both the hampers, and picked out all the odds and ends
and the remnants, and added them to the stew.  There were half a pork pie
and a bit of cold boiled bacon left, and we put them in.  Then George
found half a tin of potted salmon, and he emptied that into the pot.

He said that was the advantage of Irish stew: you got rid of such a lot
of things.  I fished out a couple of eggs that had got cracked, and put
those in.  George said they would thicken the gravy.

3.1 Имена

Montmorency - Монтморенси
George - Джордж
Harris    - Харрис
Leslie - Лесли
Hodgson - Ходгсон
Mrs. Sarah Hill – Миссис Сара Хилл
Tennyson - Теннисон
Lord Fitznoodle – лорд Фитцнудл

3.2 Топонимы

Wargrave - Варкграф
Shiplake - Шиплэйк
Henley - г. Хенлей(-на-Темзе)
Sandford – Сэндфорд
Merton – Мертон (Колледж) один из старейших колледжей Оксфордского. Основан в 1264.
3.3 Этнонимы

Irish - ирландский

4. Реалии

Peck - мера сыпучих тел ( =1/4 бушеля или 9,08 л ) в Великобритании эквивалентна 554.84 кубическим дюймам
1 pound –фунт денежная единица = 20 шиллингам
Shilling - шиллинг ( англ. серебряная монета = 1/20 фунта стерлингов = 12 пенсам )
Easter - пасха ( праздник )
Town Hall здание муниципалитета

#66 2009-06-02 01:13:42

anton162

Предпереводческий анализ Кошкиной С. и Седухина А.
Mariam Lau “Kriegsende und Osterweiterung”
Auf einer Tagung zum Thema Stalinismus - Nationalsozialismus erzählte der Historiker Karl Schlögel kürzlich deprimiert von einer Begegnung in Kaliningrad, zwischen einem Veteranen der Roten Armee und einem Deutschen, der aus der Stadt vertrieben worden war, als sie noch Königsberg hieß. Der Deutsche, ein gutversorgter Rentner aus der Bundesrepublik, stand einem hinfälligen, halb verwahrlosten alten Mann gegenüber, dessen Heimatstadt kaum einen Bruchteil ihrer früheren Größe erhalten konnte und der sein Leben an die gigantische stalinistische Lüge verschenkt hat. Wer ist hier der Sieger, wer der Besiegte?
Spätestens mit der Osterweiterung Europas, sukzessive aber schon seit dem Fall der Mauer, verschieben sich die Gewichte im Geschichtsverständnis der Europäer. Zwar ist weiterhin von einem Tag der Befreiung die Rede. Es findet sich niemand im Europäischen Parlament, der das Ende der Nazi-Diktatur, besonders was das Schicksal der europäischen Juden betrifft, nicht als Befreiung auffassen würde. Mögen linke Intellektuelle wie Tony Judt noch so oft sarkastisch wiederholen, die Anerkennung des Holocaust als der alles überschattenden Katastrophe Europas sei das "Eintrittsticket" in den Klub der 25. Es gehört zu den historischen Leistungen der europäischen Gemeinschaft der Nachkriegszeit, auch der Bundesrepublik, die Erinnerung an die Judenvernichtung als paradigmatischen Zivilisationsbruch ins Zentrum ihres Selbstverständnisses gestellt zu haben.
Aber gerade weil das so ist, kann nun frei und gänzlich unaggressiv von der anderen Seite gesprochen werden: von all denjenigen nämlich, für die auf den Terror der Nazi-Besatzung 40 weitere Jahre Unterdrückung folgten, zum Teil in denselben Lagern. Die völlig akademische Diskussion, ob ein Vergleich der beiden Diktaturen gestattet sei, verstummt spätestens angesichts derer, denen gar nichts anderes übrigblieb. Viele Bürger Polens, des Baltikums oder der Ukraine leben in der bitteren Überzeugung, sie seien letztlich die einzigen, die wirklich für den Krieg bezahlt hätten. Eine Siegesfeier in Moskau zwingt sie gewissermaßen, der eigenen Demütigung vor aller Welt zu applaudieren. War das wirklich unvermeidlich?
Man fragt sich, ob hinter dem europäischen Entschluß, den 9. Mai in Rußland zu begehen, wirklich nicht mehr steht als die Anerkennung der 20 Millionen sowjetischer Toter, die im Krieg gegen Hitler ihr Leben ließen. Bundeskanzler Schröder hatte es schon in der Normandie nicht über sich gebracht, die Leistungen der Amerikaner beim Sieg über die Deutschen zu würdigen. Der Proamerikanismus der ehemaligen Ostblockländer ist bekanntlich nicht nur Bundeskanzler Schröder, sondern auch Jacques Chirac spätestens seit dem "Brief der acht" vor dem Irak-Krieg ein Dorn im Auge. Bisher war auch noch nicht ein einziges Mal vom stolzen Projekt der Re-Education die Rede, die der Bundesrepublik den Aufbau demokratischer Strukturen und die Entflechtung von Staat, Militär und Wirtschaft überhaupt erst ermöglicht hat. Deshalb beschleicht einen der unangenehme Verdacht, hier werde, auch in Anwesenheit des amerikanischen Präsidenten, weiter an der Achse Paris-Berlin-Moskau geschmiedet, deren Zukunftsträchtigkeit ebenso zweifelhaft ist wie ihre Geschichtspolitik. In einer Zeit, in der Wladimir Putin kommentarlos eine Stalin-Renaissance hinnimmt - um es vorsichtig auszudrücken -, fragt man sich doch, wie der Konsens aussieht, der hier demonstriert werden soll.
Wieder einmal rächt sich, daß Deutschland die Tradition eines liberalen Antikommunismus fast völlig fehlt. In Willy Brandt hatte sie zwar einen herausragenden Fürsprecher; aber in der Ostpolitik wurde sie den Erleichterungen geopfert, die durch Familienzusammenführung und "Wandel durch Annäherung" zweifellos erreicht wurden. Der Preis war hoch. Wie wenig die Generation der Enkel Willy Brandts von dem Denken Hannah Arendts, Isaiah Berlins oder Melvin Laskys erreicht worden ist, merkt man eben wieder an der völligen Unbedenklichkeit, mit der Schröder sich anschickt, das Kriegsende in Moskau zu begehen.
Das Europäische Parlament wird oft für seine Debattierfreudigkeit in geschichtspolitischen Dingen belächelt. Hier kann sie sich einmal als wirklich dringend nötig erweisen. Wo die Völker Europas sich ihre Geschichte erzählen; wo offen von Befreiung, Niederlage, Kollaboration, Neid und Bitterkeit die Rede sein darf, wird sich bald jeder falsche Triumphalismus, jede Besserwisserei von selbst verbieten.

1.    Мы проанализировали статью Мариам Лау “Kriegsende und Osterweiterung”. Статья была опубликована в немецкой газете “Die Welt”.
Die Welt» (дословно — Мир, Земля, Вселенная) — влиятельная (610 000 читателей) информационная немецкая ежедневная газета издательства Аксель Шпрингер АГ, пользующаяся популярностью у представителей немецкой бизнес-элиты. Публикует много аналитических материалов. Первый номер был выпущен в Гамбурге 2 апреля 1946 года английскими оккупационными властями.

2.    Текст относится к публицистическому стилю. Жанр – газетная статья. Основной темой является отношение к сталинизму и национал-социализму в современное время и разными народами.

3.    В тексте присутствуют имена:

3.1. Топонимы:
Kaliningrad - Калининград (город в России, административный центр Калининградской области. Самый западный областной центр РФ);
Königsberg – Кёнигсберг(с 1946 г. — Калининград;  центр прусской провинции Восточная Пруссия, ныне центр Калининградской области Российской Федерации);
Bundesrepublik Deutschland - Федеративная Республика Германии (государство, основанное 23 мая 1949 г. на территории Тризонии. 3 октября 1990 к ней присоединились Германская Демократическая Республика и Западный Берлин);
Europa - Европа (одна из 6 частей света, образующая с Азией континент Евразия с площадью около 10 млн км² и населением 733 млн человек);
Rußland – Росси́я (Росси́йская Федера́ция) — государство, расположенное в Евразии (восточной части Европы и в северной части Азии). Самое большое по площади государство мира (17 075 400 км² ). Население — 141 867 540 человек.
Normandie – Нормандия (историческая область на северо-западе Франции, охватывающая в настоящее время два региона страны — Верхнюю Нормандию и Нижнюю Нормандию. Общее население около 3,2 млн человек);
Paris - Париж ( столица Франции, важнейший экономический и культурный центр страны, расположенный в северной части центральной Франции);
Berlin - Берлин (столица ФРГ, самый большой город Германии как по количеству населения, так и по площади. После Лондона Берлин — второй по величине город в ЕС);
Moskau – Москва (столица Российской Федерации, город федерального значения, административный центр Центрального федерального округа и Московской области);
Polen - Польша (Республика Польша; государство в Восточной Европе);
Baltikum - Прибалтика (область в Северной Европе. От названия этой территории происходит название одной из индоевропейских языковых групп — балтов);
Ukraine - Украина (государство в Восточной Европе; Крупнейшее полностью расположенное в Европе государство).

3.2. Имена собственные:
Tony Judt - Тони Юдт ( профессор истории и руководитель Remarque Institute при Университете Нью-Йорка);
Hitler – Адольф Гитлер ( основоположник и центральная фигура национал-социализма, основатель тоталитарной диктатуры Третьего рейха, вождь (фюрер) Национал-социалистической немецкой рабочей партии с 29 июля 1921 года, рейхсканцлер национал-социалистической Германии c 31 января 1933 года, фюрер и рейхсканцлер Германии с 2 августа 1934 года, верховный главнокомандующий вооружёнными силами Германии во Второй мировой войне);
Schröder – Герхард Фриц Курт (немецкий политик, федеральный канцлер ФРГ с 27 октября 1998 по ноябрь 2005. Иностранный член РАН);
Jacques Chirac – Жак Рене Ширак (29 ноября 1932 года в Париже; французский политик, 22-й президент Франции (с 1995 по 2007));
Wladimir Putin – Владимир Владимирович Путин (род. 7 октября 1952 года, Ленинград, РСФСР, СССР) — российский государственный деятель, с 8 мая 2008 года — Председатель Правительства Российской Федерации. Второй Президент Российской Федерации с 7 мая 2000 года по 7 мая 2008 года (после отставки Президента Б. Н. Ельцина исполнял обязанности президента с 31 декабря 1999 по 7 мая 2000 года).
Stalin - Иосиф Виссарионович Сталин (18 декабря 1878, по официальной дате 9 (21) декабря 1879 — 5 марта 1953) — советский государственный, политический и военный деятель. Генеральный секретарь Центрального Комитета Всесоюзной коммунистической партии , с 1922 года, глава Советского Правительства , председатель Совета Министров СССР, генералиссимус Советского Союза (1945);
Willy Brandt- Вилли Брандт (немецкий политик, социал-демократ, четвертый федеральный канцлер ФРГ (1969—1974), лауреат Нобелевской премии мира (1971);
Hannah Arendt - Ханна Арендт (известный немецко-американский философ, политолог и историк, основоположник теории тоталитаризма);
Isaiah Berlin - Сэр Исайя Берлин (английский философ, историк идей в Европе от Вико до Плеханова c особым вниманием к Просвещению, романтизму, социализму и национализму, переводчик русской литературы и философской мысли, один из основателей современной либеральной политической философии);

3.3. Этнонимы:
Europäer – европеец;
Juden – евреи.

4.       Были выявлены следущие реалии:
Stalinismus - Сталинизм (система государственного управления и совокупность государственной политической системы и идеологии, получившие название по имени И.В. Сталина);
Nationalsozialismus - Национал-социализм ( сокращённо нацизм; официальная политическая идеология Третьего рейха);
die Rote Armee - Красная Армия — название части Вооружённых Сил Советской России и СССР в 1918—1946 годах.
der Fall der Mauer – Падение Берлинской Стены. Берлинская стена — защитное сооружение, возведенное 13 августа 1961 по инициативе властей Германской Демократической Республики и до 9 ноября 1989 г. отделявшее Западный Берлин от восточной части Берлина и территории ГДР;
9. Mai in Rußland – 9 мая. День Победы России над Германией.

5.    То, что не вошло в предыдущие пункты:
Wer ist hier der Sieger, wer der Besiegte? - Кто здесь победитель, а кто побежденный?
Eintrittsticket – входной билет;
Re-Education – перевоспитание.

#67 2009-06-04 10:52:33

Dini

Предпереводческий анализ статьи Подтишкиной и Камалутдиновой
Unglücks-Airbus funkte minutenlang Fehlermeldungen
Das Navigationsgerät fiel aus, die Bordbildschirme wurden schwarz: Aus automatisch abgesetzten Funksignalen rekonstruieren Experten die letzten Minuten der in den Atlantik gestürzten Air-France-Maschine. Satellitendaten zeigen, dass bis zu 160 km/h schnelle Sturmböen das Flugzeug trafen. São Paulo/Paris - Die Suche nach den Ursachen des Absturzes von Flug AF447 läuft auf Hochtouren - und immer mehr Details des Unglücks werden bekannt. Offenbar fielen nacheinander mehrere lebenswichtige Systeme an Bord des Flugzeugs aus. Die abgestürzte Air-France-Maschine sei durch eine starke Gewitterfront geflogen und habe erhebliche technische Probleme gehabt, berichtet die brasilianischen Zeitung "O Estado de S. Paulo" unter Berufung auf Quellen bei Air France. Das gehe aus den automatischen Funksignalen der Maschine hervor.
Demnach soll der Pilot der mit 228 Menschen besetzten Maschine gegen 4 Uhr deutscher Zeit ein manuelles Signal abgesetzt haben, dass der Airbus durch eine Region mit sogenannten CB flog: schwarze, elektrisch aufgeladene Wolken, die mit starken Winden und Blitzen einhergehen. Satellitendaten haben gezeigt, dass Gewitterwolken zu dieser Zeit bis zu 160 km/h schnelle Sturmböen gegen die Flugrichtung der Maschine schickten. Vermutlich seien die Piloten in ein schweres Tropengewitter geraten. "In ein Gewitter fliegt niemand absichtlich rein. Das ist ein Hexenkessel", sagte der Hamburger Luftfahrtexperte Heinrich Großbongardt der Deutschen Presse-Agentur. Da gehe es mit 185 km/h senkrecht rauf, kurze Zeit später aber schon wieder nach unten. Sei der Flug dann erst einmal instabil, könne eine weitere Turbulenz zur Überlastung der Struktur der Maschine führen.
Zehn Minuten später schickte das Flugzeug eine ganze Serie von Funkmeldungen, die darauf hindeuten, dass der Autopilot abgeschaltet und das Computersystem auf eine alternative Energieversorgung umgeschaltet wurde. Zu diesem Zeitpunkt waren Kontrollen, die für die Stabilität des Flugzeugs gebraucht werden, bereits beschädigt. Außerdem soll ein Alarmsystem eine weitere Verschlechterung der Flugsysteme angezeigt haben, schreibt die Zeitung.
Die Piloten wollten nach Großbongardts Vermutung schnell durch das Unwettergebiet durchfliegen, denn man könne dieses nicht umfliegen. Aber: "Zum Zeitpunkt des Unglücks sind über dem Atlantik zwei große Gewitterzellen sehr schnell zusammengewachsen. Das Wetter hat sie wohl überholt."
Drei Minuten später deuteten weitere automatisch gefunkte Signale darauf hin, dass zwei weitere wichtige Systeme, mit denen die Piloten Geschwindigkeit, Höhe und Richtung überwachten, ausfielen. "Dann gab es zwei bis drei Minuten lang eine Flut von Fehlermeldungen: Das Navigationsgerät fiel aus, die Bordbildschirme wurden schwarz und anderes", so Großbongardt. Er bezog sich auf Informationen der Air France, die derzeit in Expertenkreisen erörtert würden. Dies betreffe Ausfälle von Systemen, die den Hauptflugcomputer und die Tragflächen-Störklappen kontrollieren.
Die letzte Information kam um 4.14 Uhr: "Der Kabinendruck fiel ab. Das war die letzte Meldung, die vom Flugzeug automatisch über Satellit an die Unternehmenszentrale gefunkt wurde", sagte Großbongardt. Somit habe sich die gefährliche Lage binnen Minuten zugespitzt.
Die Unfallermittler in Frankreich dämpfen die Hoffnung auf eine schnelle Aufklärung der Ursachen. "Die Ermittlungen dauern lange, manchmal sehr lange, denn man kann sich nicht mit 80 Prozent Verständnis zufriedengeben", sagte der Direktor des Amts für Unfallanalysen BEA, Paul-Louis Arslanian, in Paris. "Wir können es uns nicht erlauben, zu spekulieren." Die Suche nach dem Flugschreiber sei besonders schwierig. Der Atlantik ist in dem Gebiet etwa 4000 Meter tief und zudem von Meeresgebirgen durchzogen. Das Amt will Ende Juni einen ersten Bericht vorlegen.
Die brasilianische Luftwaffe entdeckte in dem Gebiet zudem auf einer Strecke von 20 Kilometern Öl- und Kerosin auf dem Wasser. Der brasilianische Verteidigungsminister wies Spekulationen über ein mögliches Bomben-Attentat zurück. Die entdecke Ölspur spreche gegen eine Explosion der Maschine am Himmel. Nach Ansicht der brasilianischen Regierung und der französischen Armee besteht kein Zweifel mehr, dass die Wrackteile zum Airbus der Air France gehörten. Die brasilianische Luftwaffe habe am Mittwoch rund 1200 Kilometer nordöstlich der Küste ihres Landes etwa zehn weitere Wrackteile geortet, sagte ein Luftwaffensprecher in Brasília. Das bislang größte entdeckte Wrackteil der Maschine hat einen Umfang von sieben Metern, möglicherweise war es Teil eines Flügels. Von den 228 Vermissten fehlte weiter jede Spur. Leichen seien nicht gefunden worden, sagte Oberst Jorge Amaral. "Außer bei einem Wunder gibt es angesichts der Vielzahl der Wrackteile streng genommen keinerlei Hoffnung auf Überlebende", hieß es aus Ermittlerkreisen.
Der französische Verteidigungsminister Hervé Morin erklärte, es gebe keine Hinweise, dass ein Anschlag hinter dem Absturz des Airbus A330 stecken könne. Bislang schloss die französische Regierung aber keine Ursache für den Absturz komplett aus. In französischen Medien wurde spekuliert, Terroristen hätten lockerere Sicherheitsvorkehrungen in Brasilien nutzen können, um eine Bombe an Bord zu schmuggeln.

Мы прочитали статью, которая посвящена проблеме, обсуждаемой в данный момент во всех СМИ: катастрофе аэробуса А330, следующим рейсом Сан-Пауло – Париж.
1.    Статья вышла в немецком журнале «der Spiegel«.Шпи́гель (нем. Der Spiegel — зеркало) — один из известнейших еженедельных журналов Германии. Сам журнал описывает себя как «самый значимый информационно-политический журнал Германии и Европы с самым большим тиражом». В среднем в неделю продаётся около 1,1 миллионов экземпляров. Вид журнала: информационно-политический. Первый номер появился: 4 января 1947. Периодичность: еженедельно. Продаваемый тираж (2005): 1113078 экземпляров. Шеф-редактор: Штефан Ауст
2.    Текст относится к публицистическому стилю, жанр – газетная статья. Тема статьи – выявление главных причин падения самолета А330.
3.    В тексте присутствуют имена:
•    Топонимы:
        Атлантический океан – второй по величине океан после Тихого океана. Площадь с морями 91,6 млн. км², объём 329,7 млн. км³, средняя глубина 3600 м, наибольшая — 8742 м (жёлоб Пуэрто-Рико). Название произошло от имени титана Атласа (Атланта) в греческой мифологии или от легендарного острова Атлантида.
       Сан-Паулу – (порт. São Paulo) — столица одноимённого штата в Бразилии. Расположен на Юго-Востоке Бразилии, в долине реки Тьете, в 70 км от побережья Атлантического океана.

Площадь города составляет 1 523,0 квадратных километров[1], а население — 11 016 703[2] (по данным IBGE на 2006), что делает его наиболее населённым городом в южном полушарии[3] (с пригородами около 19 миллионов). Архитектурный образ города образует смесь построек самых разных эпох и стилей. В Сан-Паулу сохранилось множество старинных зданий, музеев и церквей. В то же время Сан-Паулу — один из самых современных городов, основная его часть застроена небоскрёбами из стекла и металла. Но подобное соседство стилей не выглядит надуманным и чужеродным — как раз наоборот, древняя церковь может гармонично смотреться на фоне самого современного здания.
       Париж – (фр. Paris, [paʁi] (пари́)) — столица Франции, важнейший экономический и культурный центр страны, расположенный в северной части центральной Франции, в регионе Иль-де-Франс на берегах реки Сены. Кроме того Париж имеет большое международное значение — здесь находятся штаб-квартиры ЮНЕСКО, ОЭСР и Международной торговой палаты.
       Франция – Фра́нция (фр. France), официальное название Францу́зская Респу́блика (République française) — государство в Западной Европе. Столица — город Париж. Название страны происходит по этнониму германского племени — франки.Население 64,5 млн человек, в том числе свыше 90 % — граждане Франции. Верующие — преимущественно католики (свыше 76 %). Законодательный орган — двухпалатный парламент (Сенат и Национальное собрание). Административно-территориальное деление: 26 регионов (22 в метрополии и 4 заморских региона), включающих 100 департаментов (96 в метрополии и 4 заморских департамента)[1].
       Бразилия - официальное название Федерати́вная Респу́блика Брази́лия (порт. República Federativa do Brasil) — самое большое по площади и населению государство в Южной Америке. Занимает восточную и центральную часть материка.Столица — город Бразилиа.Наибольшая протяжённость с севера на юг 4320 км, с востока на запад 4328 км. Граничит с Французской Гвианой, Суринамом, Гайаной, Венесуэлой, Колумбией, Перу, Боливией, Парагваем, Аргентиной, Уругваем. Протяжённость сухопутных границ около 16 тыс. км. С востока омывается Атлантическим океаном, несколько островов в котором также принадлежат Бразилии (важнейший — Фернанду-ди-Норонья). Протяжённость береговой линии — 7,4 тыс. км. Значительное влияние на культуру страны оказала Португалия, бывшая метрополия. Официальным и практически единственным разговорным языком страны является португальский. По вероисповеданию большинство бразильцев — католики, что делает Бразилию страной с самым большим католическим населением в мире.Площадь (с островами) 8512 тыс. км².
      Гамбург - Га́мбург (нем. Hamburg, н.-нем. Hamborg [ˈhaˑmbɔːχ]) — портовый город, а также одна из 16 земель Федеративной Республики Германии, расположенный у места впадения реки Эльбы в Северное море. Население города составляет 1,7 млн жителей. Официальное название — Свободный и Ганзейский город Гамбург (нем. Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg) указывает на участие города в средневековом Ганзейском союзе и факт, что Гамбург является городом федерального значения. Гамбург — международный торговый портовый город, коммерческий и культурный центр Северной Германии. Это второй по величине город в Германии (после Берлина) а также один из самых больших портовых городов в Европе. Гамбург — самый большой (по численности населения) город в Европейском союзе, не являющийся столицей государства. Девиз города, который можно прочитать в виде надписи над порталом городской ратуши гласит: «Libertatem quam peperere maiores digne studeat servare posteritas». Принятый стихотворный перевод этой фразы на немецкий язык звучит, как «Die Freiheit, die erwarben die Alten, möge die Nachwelt würdig erhalten» («Свободу, что добились для нас наши предки, достойно пусть с честью хранят потомки»). Латинским названием города, используемым, например, в гимне города, является лат. Hammonia. На гербе и флаге Гамбурга изображены ворота городской крепости, и Гамбург часто называют за это «воротами в мир» (нем. Tor zur Welt).
•    Имена собственные:
     Der Airbus A330 – Название рус: Аэробус А330-200
Производитель: Airbus S.A.S.
Страна: Европейский Союз
Категория: Гражданский, Пассажирский, Дальнемагистральный
Дополнительно: Серия Airbus A330 разрабатывалась параллельно с серией А340. Конструкция фюзеляжа и крыльев аналогична, отличаются они в основном количеством двигателей. На серии Airbus A330 устанавлено два двигателя, в отличие от четырех на A340. Самолет рассчитан на конкуренцию с Boeing 767-300ER. Разработка лайнера была начата в ноябре 1995 года. Самолет разработан на основе выпущенного ранее A330-300. В этой модификацией, A330-200 на 10 секций или 4,5 метра короче. Первый полет совершен 13 августа 1997 года. Варианты написания (синонимы): Аэробус А 330-200, Аэробус 330-200, Аэробус330-200, Airbus A 330-200, Airbus 330-200, Airbus330-200. Двигатели: Два двигателя General Electric CF6-80E1A2, Pratt & Whitney PW-4164 или PW-4168, RollsRoyce Trent 768 или Trent 772.
•    Имена собственные
     Heinrich Großbongardt – немецкий эксперт
     Paul-Louis Arslanian – министр обороны Бразилии
     Hervé Morin – министр обороны Франции.
4.    Выявленные реалии
Das Navigationsgerät  - Навигационный прибор
Die Bordbildschirme - Бортовые экраны
Die Luftwaffe - Военная авиация
Unfallanalysen BEA – служба анализа аварий
5.    Элементы, не вошедшие в предыдущие пункты
Schmuggeln – Глагол, провозить контрабандой
Wrackteile - Существительное, обломки мн.ч

läuft auf Hochtouren – идти в гору, быстро развиваться

#68 2009-06-07 14:09:17

Тлустенко Ю. и Лягаева Л.
Jerome K. Jerome "Three men in the boat"
CHAPTER XVI.
READING. – WE ARE TOWED BY STEAM LAUNCH. – IRRITATING BEHAVIOUR OF SMALL BOATS. – HOW THEY GET IN THE WAY OF STEAM LAUNCHES. – GEORGE AND HARRIS AGAIN SHIRK THEIR WORK. – RATHER A HACKNEYED STORY. – STREATLEY AND GORING.
WE came in sight of Reading about eleven. The river is dirty and dismal here. One does not linger in the neighbourhood of Reading. The town itself is a famous old place, dating from the dim days of King Ethelred, when the Danes anchored their warships in the Kennet, and started from Reading to ravage all the land of Wessex; and here Ethelred and his brother Alfred fought and defeated them, Ethelred doing the praying and Alfred the fighting.
In later years, Reading seems to have been regarded as a handy place to run down to, when matters were becoming unpleasant in London. Parliament generally rushed off to Reading whenever there was a plague on at Westminster; and, in 1625, the Law followed suit, and all the courts were held at Reading. It must have been worth while having a mere ordinary plague now and then in London to get rid of both the lawyers and the Parliament.During the Parliamentary struggle, Reading was besieged by the Earl of Essex, and, a quarter of a century later, the Prince of Orange routed King James's troops there.
Henry I. lies buried at Reading, in the Benedictine abbey founded by him there, the ruins of which may still be seen; and, in this same abbey, great John of Gaunt was married to the Lady Blanche.At Reading lock we came up with a steam launch, belonging to some friends of mine, and they towed us up to within about a mile of Streatley. It is very delightful being towed up by a launch. I prefer it myself to rowing. The run would have been more delightful still, if it had not been for a lot of wretched small boats that were continually getting in the way of our launch, and, to avoid running down which, we had to be continually easing and stopping. It is really most annoying, the manner in which these rowing boats get in the way of one's launch up the river; something ought to done to stop it.
And they are so confoundedly impertinent, too, over it. You can whistle till you nearly burst your boiler before they will trouble themselves to hurry. I would have one or two of them run down now and then, if I had my way, just to teach them all a lesson.
The river becomes very lovely from a little above Reading. The railway rather spoils it near Tilehurst, but from Mapledurham up to Streatley it is glorious. A little above Mapledurham lock you pass Hardwick House, where Charles I. played bowls. The neighbourhood of Pangbourne, where the quaint little Swan Inn stands, must be as familiar to the HABITUES of the Art Exhibitions as it is to its own inhabitants.
My friends' launch cast us loose just below the grotto, and then Harris wanted to make out that it was my turn to pull. This seemed to me most unreasonable. It had been arranged in the morning that I should bring the boat up to three miles above Reading. Well, here we were, ten miles above Reading! Surely it was now their turn again.
I could not get either George or Harris to see the matter in its proper light, however; so, to save argument, I took the sculls. I had not been pulling for more than a minute or so, when George noticed something black floating on the water, and we drew up to it. George leant over, as we neared it, and laid hold of it. And then he drew back with a cry, and a blanched face.
It was the dead body of a woman. It lay very lightly on the water, and the face was sweet and calm. It was not a beautiful face; it was too prematurely aged-looking, too thin and drawn, to be that; but it was a gentle, lovable face, in spite of its stamp of pinch and poverty, and upon it was that look of restful peace that comes to the faces of the sick sometimes when at last the pain has left them.
Fortunately for us – we having no desire to be kept hanging about coroners' courts – some men on the bank had seen the body too, and now took charge of it from us.
We found out the woman's story afterwards. Of course it was the old, old vulgar tragedy. She had loved and been deceived – or had deceived herself. Anyhow, she had sinned – some of us do now and then – and her family and friends, naturally shocked and indignant, had closed their doors against her.
Left to fight the world alone, with the millstone of her shame around her neck, she had sunk ever lower and lower. For a while she had kept both herself and the child on the twelve shillings a week that twelve hours' drudgery a day procured her, paying six shillings out of it for the child, and keeping her own body and soul together on the remainder.Six shillings a week does not keep body and soul together very unitedly. They want to get away from each other when there is only such a very slight bond as that between them; and one day, I suppose, the pain and the dull monotony of it all had stood before her eyes plainer than usual, and the mocking spectre had frightened her. She had made one last appeal to friends, but, against the chill wall of their respectability, the voice of the erring outcast fell unheeded; and then she had gone to see her child – had held it in her arms and kissed it, in a weary, dull sort of way, and without betraying any particular emotion of any kind, and had left it, after putting into its hand a penny box of chocolate she had bought it, and afterwards, with her last few shillings, had taken a ticket and come down to Goring.
It seemed that the bitterest thoughts of her life must have centred about the wooded reaches and the bright green meadows around Goring; but women strangely hug the knife that stabs them, and, perhaps, amidst the gall, there may have mingled also sunny memories of sweetest hours, spent upon those shadowed deeps over which the great trees bend their branches down so low.
She had wandered about the woods by the river's brink all day, and then, when evening fell and the grey twilight spread its dusky robe upon the waters, she stretched her arms out to the silent river that had known her sorrow and her joy. And the old river had taken her into its gentle arms, and had laid her weary head upon its bosom, and had hushed away the pain.
Thus had she sinned in all things – sinned in living and in dying. God help her! and all other sinners, if any more there be.Goring on the left bank and Streatley on the right are both or either charming places to stay at for a few days. The reaches down to Pangbourne woo one for a sunny sail or for a moonlight row, and the country round about is full of beauty. We had intended to push on to Wallingford that day, but the sweet smiling face of the river here lured us to linger for a while; and so we left our boat at the bridge, and went up into Streatley, and lunched at the "Bull," much to Montmorency's satisfaction.They say that the hills on each ride of the stream here once joined and formed a barrier across what is now the Thames, and that then the river ended there above Goring in one vast lake. I am not in a position either to contradict or affirm this statement. I simply offer it.It is an ancient place, Streatley, dating back, like most river-side towns and villages, to British and Saxon times. Goring is not nearly so pretty a little spot to stop at as Streatley, if you have your choice; but it is passing fair enough in its way, and is nearer the railway in case you want to slip off without paying your hotel bill.

#69 2009-06-07 14:23:52

Предпереводческий анализ Тлустенко Ю. и Лягаевой Л.

1.     Мы выбрали и изучили отрывок из произведения Джерома К. Джерома «Трое в лодке, не считая собаки». Об авторе: ДЖЕРОМ Клапка  Джером [Jerome К. Jerome, 1859-1927] - английский писатель-юморист, постоянный сотрудник "Punch", редактировал с 1892-1897 журналы "Лентяй" (Idler) и "Сегодня" (To-day), опубликовал в 1889 "Праздные мысли лентяя" и "Трое в одной лодке", поставившие его в ряды значительных юмористов.
2.     Текст относится к художественному стилю, жанр – юмористическая повесть.
3.     В тексте присутствуют имена собственные.

3.1     Топонимы:
Reading - Рединг (англ. Reading, Ридинг) — город в Англии, столица и самый крупный город графства Беркшир.
Kennet – Кеннет – река, приток Темзы.
Wessex  - Уэссекс (англ. Wessex, дословно — западное саксонское королевство) — историческая область Англии, одно из семи англо-саксонских королевств, сформировавших Английское королевство.
Westminster  - Вестминстер — Подразумевается группа построек разных эпох, включая быв. Вестминстерское аббатство и здание парламента (Новый Вестминстерский дворец) в Лондоне.
Benedictine abbey - Бенедиктинское аббатство в Паннонхальме
Streatley  - Стритли - деревня и гражданский округ на Реке Темзе в английском графстве Беркшира.
Thames -  Темза (англ. Thames, лат. Thamesis) — река на юге Великобритании.
Tilehurst – Тайлхерст – город к западу от Лондона.
Mapledurham – Мэйплдерхэм –
Pangbourne - Пенгборн (Pangbourne, далеко от города Рэдинг) - это крошечная деревня на берегу Темзы.
Goring  - город Горинг(Goring) расположен в Великобритании, Англия.

3.2 Список личных имен:
Montmorency – Монморанси
George – Джордж
Harris – Гаррис

Имена исторических личностей:
Ethelred —Этельред I (ранее 843 — 871) — король Уэссекса (865 — 871). Сын короля Этельвульфа и Осбурги, брат Этельбальда, Этельберта и Альфреда Великого.
Alfred - Альфред Великий (англо-саксон. ?lfred se Greata, англ. Alfred the Great) (ок. 849 — 899/901) — король Уэссекса (871 — 899/901), первый из королей Уэссекса в официальных документах использовавший титул король Англии.
Earl of Essex - Граф Эссекс. Борьба английского парламента, в котором большинство принадлежало буржуазно-дворянской оппозиции, против королевской власти началась еще при Якове I, но особенно острый характер приняла при Карле I, вылившись в буржуазную резолюцию, которая началась в 1642 г, в виде гражданской войны между армией парламента и армией короля. Граф Эссекс был назначен командующим парламентской армией, после захвата королевской конницей Рэдинга (октябрь 1642 г.) ссадил город и в феврале 1643 г. освободил его от монархистов.
Prince of Orange —  Принц Вильгельм Оранский (1650-1702) — штатгальтер Нидерландов, с 1689 г.
King James – король Джеймс
Henry I - Генрих I — английский король, младший сын Вильгельма Завоевателя; правил с 1100 по 1135 г.
John of Gaunt— Джон Гонт — герцог Ланкастерский, третий сын короля Эдуарда III, дядя Ричарда II и отец Генриха IV; играл важную роль в политической жизни Англии.
Lady Blanche – Леди Бланш, Бланш Ланкастерская, супруга герцога Ланкастерского

3.3     Этнонимы:
the Danes – датчане

4.Реалии
A hackneyed story – банальная история
Rowing boats – дрянные лодчонки
Confoundedly impertinent – чертовское нахальство
Old, old vulgar tragedy – старая как мир, банальная история.
A penny box of chocolate – грошовая шоколадка.

#70 2009-09-14 20:14:22

Liliya

WASHING DAY. – FISH AND FISHERS. – ON THE
ART OF ANGLING. – A CONSCIENTIOUS FLY-FISHER. – A FISHY STORY.
WE stayed two days at Streatley, and got our clothes washed. We had tried washing them ourselves, in the river, under George’s superintendence, and it had been a failure. Indeed, it had been more than a failure, because we were worse off after we had washed our clothes than we were before. Before we had washed them, they had been very, very dirty, it is true; but they were just wearable. AFTER we had washed them - well, the river between Reading and Henley was much cleaner, after we had washed our clothes in it, than it was before. All the dirt contained in the river between Reading and Henley, we collected, during that wash, and worked it into our clothes.
The washerwoman at Streatley said she felt she owed it to herself to charge us just three times the usual prices for that wash. She said it had not been like washing, it had been more in the nature of excavating.
We paid the bill without a murmur.
The neighbourhood of Streatley and Goring is a great fishing centre. There is some excellent fishing to be had here. The river abounds in pike, roach, dace, gudgeon, and eels, just here; and you can sit and fish for them all day.

Some people do. They never catch them. I never knew anybody catch anything, up the Thames, except minnows and dead cats, but that has nothing to do, of course, with fishing! The local fisherman’s guide doesn’t say a word about catching anything. All it says is the place is “a good station for fishing;” and, from what I have seen of the district, I am quite prepared to bear out this statement.

There is no spot in the world where you can get more fishing, or where you can fish for a longer period. Some fishermen come here and fish for a day, and others stop and fish for a month. You can hang on and fish for a year, if you want to: it will be all the same.
The ANGLER’S GUIDE TO THE THAMES says that “jack and perch are also to be had about here,” but there the ANGLER’S GUIDE is wrong. Jack and perch may BE about there. Indeed, I know for a fact that they are. You can SEE them there in shoals, when you are out for a walk along the banks: they come and stand half out of the water with their mouths open for biscuits. And, if you go for a bathe, they crowd round, and get in your way, and irritate you. But they are not to be “had” by a bit of worm on the end of a hook, nor anything like it – not they!

I am not a good fisherman myself. I devoted a considerable amount of attention to the subject at one time, and was getting on, as I thought, fairly well; but the old hands told me that I should never be any real good at it, and advised me to give it up. They said that I was an extremely neat thrower, and that I seemed to have plenty of gumption for the thing, and quite enough constitutional laziness. But they were sure I should never make anything of a fisherman. I had not got sufficient imagination.

They said that as a poet, or a shilling shocker, or a reporter, or anything of that kind, I might be satisfactory, but that, to gain any position as a Thames angler, would require more play of fancy, more power of invention than I appeared to possess.

Some people are under the impression that all that is required to make a good fisherman is the ability to tell lies easily and without blushing; but this is a mistake. Mere bald fabrication is useless; the veriest tyro can manage that. It is in the circumstantial detail, the embellishing touches of probability, the general air of scrupulous – almost of pedantic – veracity, that the experienced angler is seen.

Anybody can come in and say, “Oh, I caught fifteen dozen perch yesterday evening;” or “Last Monday I landed a gudgeon, weighing eighteen pounds, and measuring three feet from the tip to the tail.”

There is no art, no skill, required for that sort of thing. It shows pluck, but that is all.

No; your accomplished angler would scorn to tell a lie, that way. His method is a study in itself.
He comes in quietly with his hat on, appropriates the most comfortable chair, lights his pipe, and commences to puff in silence. He lets the youngsters brag away for a while, and then, during a momentary lull, he removes the pipe from his mouth, and remarks, as he knocks the ashes out against the bars:

“Well, I had a haul on Tuesday evening that it’s not much good my telling anybody about.”
“Oh! why’s that?” they ask.
“Because I don’t expect anybody would believe me if I did,” replies the old fellow calmly, and without even a tinge of bitterness in his tone, as he refills his pipe, and requests the landlord to bring him three of Scotch, cold.

There is a pause after this, nobody feeling sufficiently sure of himself to contradict the old gentleman. So he has to go on by himself without any encouragement.
“No,” he continues thoughtfully; “I shouldn’t believe it myself if anybody told it to me, but it’s a fact, for all that. I had been sitting there all the afternoon and had caught literally nothing – except a few dozen dace and a score of jack; and I was just about giving it up as a bad job when I suddenly felt a rather smart pull at the line. I thought it was another little one, and I went to jerk it up. Hang me, if I could move the rod! It took me half-an-hour – half-an-hour, sir! – to land that fish; and every moment I thought the line was going to snap! I reached him at last, and what do you think it was? A sturgeon! a forty pound sturgeon! taken on a line, sir! Yes, you may well look surprised – I’ll have another three of Scotch, landlord, please.”

And then he goes on to tell of the astonishment of everybody who saw it; and what his wife said, when he got home, and of what Joe Buggles thought about it.

I asked the landlord of an inn up the river once, if it did not injure him, sometimes, listening to the tales that the fishermen about there told him; and he said:

“Oh, no; not now, sir. It did used to knock me over a bit at first, but, lor love you! me and the missus we listens to `em all day now. It’s what you’re used to, you know. It’s what you’re used to.”
I knew a young man once, he was a most conscientious fellow, and, when he took to fly-fishing, he determined never to exaggerate his hauls by more than twenty-five per cent.

“When I have caught forty fish,” said he, “then I will tell people that I have caught fifty, and so on. But I will not lie any more than that, because it is sinful to lie.”

But the twenty-five per cent. plan did not work well at all. He never was able to use it. The greatest number of fish he ever caught in one day was three, and you can’t add twenty-five per cent. to three – at least, not in fish.

So he increased his percentage to thirty-three-and-a-third; but that, again, was awkward, when he had only caught one or two; so, to simplify matters, he made up his mind to just double the quantity.

He stuck to this arrangement for a couple of months, and then he grew dissatisfied with it. Nobody believed him when he told them that he only doubled, and he, therefore, gained no credit that way whatever, while his moderation put him at a disadvantage among the other anglers. When he had really caught three small fish, and said he had caught six, it used to make him quite jealous to hear a man, whom he knew for a fact had only caught one, going about telling people he had landed two dozen.

So, eventually, he made one final arrangement with himself, which he has religiously held to ever since, and that was to count each fish that he caught as ten, and to assume ten to begin with. For example, if he did not catch any fish at all, then he said he had caught ten fish – you could never catch less than ten fish by his system; that was the foundation of it. Then, if by any chance he really did catch one fish, he called it twenty, while two fish would count thirty, three forty, and so on.
It is a simple and easily worked plan, and there has been some talk lately of its being made use of by the angling fraternity in general. Indeed, the Committee of the Thames Angler’s Association did recommend its adoption about two years ago, but some of the older members opposed it. They said they would consider the idea if the number were doubled, and each fish counted as twenty.

If ever you have an evening to spare, up the river, I should advise you to drop into one of the little village inns, and take a seat in the tap- room. You will be nearly sure to meet one or two old rod-men, sipping their toddy there, and they will tell you enough fishy stories, in half an hour, to give you indigestion for a month.

George and I – I don’t know what had become of Harris; he had gone out and had a shave, early in the afternoon, and had then come back and spent full forty minutes in pipeclaying his shoes, we had not seen him since – George and I, therefore, and the dog, left to ourselves, went for a walk to Wallingford on the second evening, and, coming home, we called in at a little river-side inn, for a rest, and other things.

We went into the parlour and sat down. There was an old fellow there, smoking a long clay pipe, and we naturally began chatting.
He told us that it had been a fine day to-day, and we told him that it had been a fine day yesterday, and then we all told each other that we thought it would be a fine day to-morrow; and George said the crops seemed to be coming up nicely.

After that it came out, somehow or other, that we were strangers in the neighbourhood, and that we were going away the next morning.

Then a pause ensued in the conversation, during which our eyes wandered round the room. They finally rested upon a dusty old glass-case, fixed very high up above the chimney-piece, and containing a trout. It rather fascinated me, that trout; it was such a monstrous fish. In fact, at first glance, I thought it was a cod.

“Ah!” said the old gentleman, following the direction of my gaze, “fine fellow that, ain’t he?”

“Quite uncommon,” I murmured; and George asked the old man how much he thought it weighed.
“Eighteen pounds six ounces,” said our friend, rising and taking down his coat. “Yes,” he continued, “it wur sixteen year ago, come the third o’ next month, that I landed him. I caught him just below the bridge with a minnow. They told me he wur in the river, and I said I’d have him, and so I did. You don’t see many fish that size about here now, I’m thinking. Good-night, gentlemen, good-night.”

And out he went, and left us alone.

We could not take our eyes off the fish after that. It really was a remarkably fine fish. We were still looking at it, when the local carrier, who had just stopped at the inn, came to the door of the room with a pot of beer in his hand, and he also looked at the fish.

“Good-sized trout, that,” said George, turning round to him.
“Ah! you may well say that, sir,” replied the man; and then, after a pull at his beer, he added, “Maybe you wasn’t here, sir, when that fish was caught?”

“No,” we told him. We were strangers in the neighbourhood.

“Ah!” said the carrier, “then, of course, how should you? It was nearly five years ago that I caught that trout.”

“Oh! was it you who caught it, then?” said I.

“Yes, sir,” replied the genial old fellow. “I caught him just below the lock – leastways, what was the lock then – one Friday afternoon; and the remarkable thing about it is that I caught him with a fly. I’d gone out pike fishing, bless you, never thinking of a trout, and when I saw that whopper on the end of my line, blest if it didn’t quite take me aback. Well, you see, he weighed twenty-six pound. Good-night, gentlemen, good- night.”
Five minutes afterwards, a third man came in, and described how he had caught it early one morning, with bleak; and then he left, and a stolid, solemn-looking, middle-aged individual came in, and sat down over by the window.

None of us spoke for a while; but, at length, George turned to the new comer, and said:

“I beg your pardon, I hope you will forgive the liberty that we – perfect strangers in the neighbourhood – are taking, but my friend here and myself would be so much obliged if you would tell us how you caught that trout up there.”

“Why, who told you I caught that trout!” was the surprised query.

We said that nobody had told us so, but somehow or other we felt instinctively that it was he who had done it.

“Well, it’s a most remarkable thing – most remarkable,” answered the stolid stranger, laughing; “because, as a matter of fact, you are quite right. I did catch it. But fancy your guessing it like that. Dear me, it’s really a most remarkable thing.”

And then he went on, and told us how it had taken him half an hour to land it, and how it had broken his rod. He said he had weighed it carefully when he reached home, and it had turned the scale at thirty- four pounds.

He went in his turn, and when he was gone, the landlord came in to us. We told him the various histories we had heard about his trout, and he was immensely amused, and we all laughed very heartily.

“Fancy Jim Bates and Joe Muggles and Mr. Jones and old Billy Maunders all telling you that they had caught it. Ha! ha! ha! Well, that is good,” said the honest old fellow, laughing heartily. “Yes, they are the sort to give it ME, to put up in MY parlour, if THEY had caught it, they are! Ha! ha! ha!”

And then he told us the real history of the fish. It seemed that he had caught it himself, years ago, when he was quite a lad; not by any art or skill, but by that unaccountable luck that appears to always wait upon a boy when he plays the wag from school, and goes out fishing on a sunny afternoon, with a bit of string tied on to the end of a tree.

He said that bringing home that trout had saved him from a whacking, and that even his school-master had said it was worth the rule-of-three and practice put together.

He was called out of the room at this point, and George and I again turned our gaze upon the fish.

It really was a most astonishing trout. The more we looked at it, the more we marvelled at it.

It excited George so much that he climbed up on the back of a chair to get a better view of it.

And then the chair slipped, and George clutched wildly at the trout-case to save himself, and down it came with a crash, George and the chair on top of it.

“You haven’t injured the fish, have you?” I cried in alarm, rushing up.

“I hope not,” said George, rising cautiously and looking about.

But he had. That trout lay shattered into a thousand fragments – I say a thousand, but they may have only been nine hundred. I did not count them.

We thought it strange and unaccountable that a stuffed trout should break up into little pieces like that.

And so it would have been strange and unaccountable, if it had been a stuffed trout, but it was not.

That trout was plaster-of-Paris.

#71 2009-09-14 20:15:22

Liliya

Предпереводческий анализ текста Л.Ибраевой, Е.Худорожковой, О.Пестеревой.
Текст 1. Jerome K. Jerome "Three man in a boat". Chapter XVII.
1.Джером Клапка Джером (англ. Jerome Klapka Jerome, 2 мая 1859, Уолсолл, графство Стаффордшир — 14 июня 1927,  Нортхемптон) — английский писатель-юморист, известный по юмористической книге «Трое в лодке», также постоянный сотрудник «Punch», редактировал с 1892—1897 годы журналы «Лентяй» (англ. Idler) и «Сегодня» (англ. To-day).
2. Юмористическая повесть.
3. В тексте присутствует большое количество собственных имен.
3.1. Топонимы:
  Streatley  (Стритли) – деревня на р.Темза в графстве Беркшир.
Reading (Рединг) – столица и самый крупный город графства Беркшир.
Henley (Хенли-на-Темзе) – город на северном берегу Темзы в Южном Оксфордшире.
Goring (Горинг-на-Темзе) – город в графстве Оксфордшир.
Wallingford (Валинфорд) – замок, построенный Вильгельмом Завоевателем. Сегодня – прекрасный город на Темзе.
3.2. Имена:
  George или Джордж
  Harris или Харрис
  Joe Buggles или Джо Баглс
  Jim Bates или Джим Бэйтс
   Joe Muggles или Джо Маглс
   Mr. Jones или мистер Джонс
   Billy Maunders или Билли Маундерс.
4.Реалии:
The ANGLER’S GUIDE TO THE THAMES – руководство по рыболовству на реке Темза.
The Committee of the Thames Angler’s Association – Комитет Ассоциации рыболовов Темзы.
5. То, что не вошло в другие пункты:
Shilling shocker – дешёвый бульварный роман
The old hands – старики, опытные люди
Inn – домик, где могут получить жилье путники
The landlord of an inn – хозяин постоялого двора
Momentary  lull – мгновенное затишье
A tinge of bitterness in the tone – оттенок горечи в голосе
Также:
Minnows – пескари
Perch – окунь
Cod – треска
Trout – форель
Sturgeon - осетр

#72 2009-09-14 22:09:43

Liliya

отрывок из рассказа «Two Gallants»
He walked listlessly round Stephen's Green and then down Grafton Street. Though his eyes took note of many elements of the crowd through which he passed they did so morosely. He found trivial all that was meant to charm him and did not answer the glances which invited him to be bold. He knew that he would have to speak a great deal, to invent and to amuse and his brain and throat were too dry for such a task. The problem of how he could pass the hours till he met Corley again troubled him a little. He could think of no way of passing them but to keep on walking. He turned to the left when he came to the corner of Rutland Square and felt more at ease in the dark quiet street, the sombre look of which suited his mood. He paused at last before the window of a poor-looking shop over which the words Refreshment Bar were printed in white letters. On the glass of the window were two flying inscriptions: Ginger Beer and Ginger Ale. A cut ham was exposed on a great blue dish while near it on a plate lay a segment of very light plum-pudding. He eyed this food earnestly for some time and then, after glancing warily up and down the street, went into the shop quickly.

He was hungry for, except some biscuits which he had asked two grudging curates to bring him, he had eaten nothing since breakfast-time. He sat down at an uncovered wooden table opposite two work-girls and a mechanic. A slatternly girl waited on him.

"How much is a plate of peas?" he asked.

"Three halfpence, sir," said the girl.

"Bring me a plate of peas," he said, "and a bottle of ginger beer."

He spoke roughly in order to belie his air of gentility for his entry had been followed by a pause of talk. His face was heated. To appear natural he pushed his cap back on his head and planted his elbows on the table. The mechanic and the two work-girls examined him point by point before resuming their conversation in a subdued voice. The girl brought him a plate of grocer's hot peas, seasoned with pepper and vinegar, a fork and his ginger beer. He ate his food greedily and found it so good that he made a note of the shop mentally. When he had eaten all the peas he sipped his ginger beer and sat for some time thinking of Corley's adventure. In his imagination he beheld the pair of lovers walking along some dark road; he heard Corley's voice in deep energetic gallantries and saw again the leer of the young woman's mouth. This vision made him feel keenly his own poverty of purse and spirit. He was tired of knocking about, of pulling the devil by the tail, of shifts and intrigues. He would be thirty-one in November. Would he never get a good job? Would he never have a home of his own? He thought how pleasant it would be to have a warm fire to sit by and a good dinner to sit down to. He had walked the streets long enough with friends and with girls. He knew what those friends were worth: he knew the girls too. Experience had embittered his heart against the world. But all hope had not left him. He felt better after having eaten than he had felt before, less weary of his life, less vanquished in spirit. He might yet be able to settle down in some snug corner and live happily if he could only come across some good simple-minded girl with a little of the ready.

He paid twopence halfpenny to the slatternly girl and went out of the shop to begin his wandering again. He went into Capel Street and walked along towards the City Hall. Then he turned into Dame Street. At the corner of George's Street he met two friends of his and stopped to converse with them. He was glad that he could rest from all his walking. His friends asked him had he seen Corley and what was the latest. He replied that he had spent the day with Corley. His friends talked very little. They looked vacantly after some figures in the crowd and sometimes made a critical remark. One said that he had seen Mac an hour before in Westmoreland Street. At this Lenehan said that he had been with Mac the night before in Egan's. The young man who had seen Mac in Westmoreland Street asked was it true that Mac had won a bit over a billiard match. Lenehan did not know: he said that Holohan had stood them drinks in Egan's.

He left his friends at a quarter to ten and went up George's Street. He turned to the left at the City Markets and walked on into Grafton Street. The crowd of girls and young men had thinned and on his way up the street he heard many groups and couples bidding one another good-night. He went as far as the clock of the College of Surgeons: it was on the stroke of ten. He set off briskly along the northern side of the Green hurrying for fear Corley should return too soon. When he reached the corner of Merrion Street he took his stand in the shadow of a lamp and brought out one of the cigarettes which he had reserved and lit it. He leaned against the lamp-post and kept his gaze fixed on the part from which he expected to see Corley and the young woman return.

His mind became active again. He wondered had Corley managed it successfully. He wondered if he had asked her yet or if he would leave it to the last. He suffered all the pangs and thrills of his friend's situation as well as those of his own. But the memory of Corley's slowly revolving head calmed him somewhat: he was sure Corley would pull it off all right. All at once the idea struck him that perhaps Corley had seen her home by another way and given him the slip. His eyes searched the street: there was no sign of them. Yet it was surely half-an-hour since he had seen the clock of the College of Surgeons. Would Corley do a thing like that? He lit his last cigarette and began to smoke it nervously. He strained his eyes as each tram stopped at the far corner of the square. They must have gone home by another way. The paper of his cigarette broke and he flung it into the road with a curse.

Suddenly he saw them coming towards him. He started with delight and keeping close to his lamp-post tried to read the result in their walk. They were walking quickly, the young woman taking quick short steps, while Corley kept beside her with his long stride. They did not seem to be speaking. An intimation of the result pricked him like the point of a sharp instrument. He knew Corley would fail; he knew it was no go.

They turned down Baggot Street and he followed them at once, taking the other footpath. When they stopped he stopped too. They talked for a few moments and then the young woman went down the steps into the area of a house. Corley remained standing at the edge of the path, a little distance from the front steps. Some minutes passed. Then the hall-door was opened slowly and cautiously. A woman came running down the front steps and coughed. Corley turned and went towards her. His broad figure hid hers from view for a few seconds and then she reappeared running up the steps. The door closed on her and Corley began to walk swiftly towards Stephen's Green.

Lenehan hurried on in the same direction. Some drops of light rain fell. He took them as a warning and, glancing back towards the house which the young woman had entered to see that he was not observed, he ran eagerly across the road. Anxiety and his swift run made him pant. He called out:

"Hallo, Corley!"

Corley turned his head to see who had called him, and then continued walking as before. Lenehan ran after him, settling the waterproof on his shoulders with one hand.

"Hallo, Corley!" he cried again.

He came level with his friend and looked keenly in his face. He could see nothing there.

"Well?" he said. "Did it come off?"

They had reached the corner of Ely Place. Still without answering, Corley swerved to the left and went up the side street. His features were composed in stern calm. Lenehan kept up with his friend, breathing uneasily. He was baffled and a note of menace pierced through his voice.

"Can't you tell us?" he said. "Did you try her?"

Corley halted at the first lamp and stared grimly before him. Then with a grave gesture he extended a hand towards the light and, smiling, opened it slowly to the gaze of his disciple. A small gold coin shone in the palm.

#73 2009-09-14 22:11:03

Liliya

Предпереводческий анализ Л.Ибраевой, Е.Худорожковой, О.Пестеревой.
Текст 2. James Joycе «Two Gallants»
1.Джеймс Августин Алоизиус Джойс (англ. James Augustine Aloysius Joyce, ирл. Séamas Seoige; 2 февраля 1882 — 13 января 1941) — ирландский писатель и поэт, представитель модернизма.
2.Проза
3.Имена собственные:
3.1. Топонимы:
   Stephen’s Green - большой общественный парк в престижном юго-центральном районе Дублина
    Capel Street – одна из цетральных улиц Дублина, Ирландия
   Dame Street (ирландский: Sráid DAMA) является крупной магистралью в Дублине, Ирландия
   Westmoreland Street (ирландский: Sráid Westmorland) является одной из улиц в южном городе-центре Дублина
   George Street – одна из улиц в Дублине
   Grafton Street – торговый район в Дублине
   Merrion Street (ирландский: Sráid Mhuirfean) является одной из основных улиц Дублина, Ирландия которая проходит      вдоль одной стороны Merrion площади
   Baggot street - одна из улиц в Дублине
    Ely Place (ирландский: Plas Ile) - улица в центральной части Дублина с Георгиевсой архитектурой.
3.2 Имена:
    Lenehan или Ленеан
   Corley или Корли
    Mac или Мак
4.Реалии:
The City Hall – мэрия
5.      То, что не вошло в другие пункты:
He went as far as the clock of the College of Surgeons – он шёл так быстро, как часы в колледже хирургов   
get inside me  - займет мое место
the chains - цепь, которая используется для разделения Дорожки вокруг зеленой Стивен с улиц за его пределами.
Curates – курирует ( сленг барменов)
pulling the devil by the tail - потянув дьявола за хвост (Сленг живущих на грани финансовой катастрофы)
a little of the ready (сленг) - деньги доступны
the area of a house - Площадь дома

#74 2009-09-15 00:31:05

Liliya

WITH A WINK AND A SMILE          
Sunday, 13 September 2009

It's only a year since Sarah Palin burst on the national scene, though I'm sure it seems longer to her. Here's how I saw things in that brief bright dawn between the GOP convention and McCain's reflexively inept response to the economic crisis:

Back in February, several political lifetimes ago, I was on the radio with Laura Ingraham, and she played Stevie Wonder's campaign song for Barack Obama, whose lyric, in its entirety, runs:

Ba-rack O-ba-ma
Ba-a-rack O-ba-a-ma
Ba-ra-ack Obama-a ...

(Repeat until coronation.) 

Laura and I had a good laugh about it, until it occurred to me that, in politics as in pop, the tune is more important than the words. A guy can run for president with all the right lyrics – on the war, the economy, the social issues – but what matters is whether people respond to the underlying music: not what he's saying, but how he's saying it. At the time, I was reflecting on Mitt Romney: The song looked great on paper, but when he stuck it on the stand and started to warble it never quite soared.

That's where Sarah Palin scored in the vice-presidential showdown. A lot of the grandees in the post-debate analysis reviewed the lyrics and missed the music. Whereas, I would wager, a big chunk of uncommitted voters out in TV land listened to Gov. Palin, and liked the tune they were hearing. If you're one of those coastal feminists who despise Alaska's sweetheart as a chillbilly breeder whose knowledge of foreign policy is as full of holes as the last moose to make the mistake of strolling past her deck, Thursday night's folksy performance isn't going to change your view. But, if your contempt for her wasn't already chiseled in granite, she came over as genuine, confident …and different. Change you can believe in, to coin a phrase.

I was a bit alarmed at first. I hadn't seen her for awhile, not since the halfwits at the McCain campaign walled her up in the witness protection program and permitted visitations only by selected poobahs of the Metamucil networks. When she walked out on stage, her famous reach-for-the-skies up-do seemed a bit subdued and earthbound, like a low-budget remake of the famous scene in There's Something About Mary. Then she started speaking. The lyrics were workmanlike, but the music was effective.

I have a couple of favorite snapshots from the evening. One was when Palin said that John McCain hadn't required her to check her principles at the door, and she still believed in drilling in ANWR and she was hoping to bring him round on that. And then she grinned and gave a mischievous wink into the camera, and to the nation.

"Don't sell the American people short," Obama honcho David Axelrod said. "They need more than a wink and a smile." OK, so how about this? Joe Biden mocked the McCain campaign's energy policy as "Drill, drill, drill", and the governor came back to correct the line: "It's not 'Drill, drill, drill'," she grinned. "It's 'Drill, baby, drill!'"

To be sure, if you listened to the lyrics – the policy, the facts, the platform – they weren't always what you wanted to hear. Palin's riff on education quickly descended into a rote call for more spending, even though America already spends more per pupil than any advanced nation other than Switzerland and has less to show for it. And more than once you pined for a more devastating putdown. If I'd been in charge of "coaching" Palin, I'd take her out back, and set up the various Obama policy platforms as cardboard elk, lurking in the protective undergrowth of the mainstream media but still eminently hittable to a crack shot.

By contrast, Biden was glib and fluent and in command of the facts – if by "in command of the facts" you mean "talks complete blithering balderdash and hogwash." He flatly declared that Obama never said he would meet Ahmadinejad without preconditions. But, on Debate Night, the official Obama Web site was still boasting that he would meet Ahmadinejad "without preconditions." He said America spends more in a month in Iraq than it's spent in seven years in Afghanistan. Er, America has spent over $700 billion in Afghanistan since 2001. It's spending about $10 billion a month in Iraq. But no matter. To demonstrate his command of the "facts," Sen. Biden sportingly offered up his own instant replays:

My friend John McCain voted 422 times against tax cuts for the middle classes. Let me repeat that so the American people are clear on this. My friend John McCain voted 673 times against tax cuts for the middle classes.

The problem was that it all sounded drearily senatorial. Mention any global crisis – civil war in Bosnia, genocide in Darfur, Russian aggression in Georgia, the lack of five-star restaurants in Wales – and Biden has been there, usually within the past two weeks, and always at public expense. What the American taxpayer gets for the Emir of Delaware's frequent-flyer miles is harder to discern. Biden was doing his best to turn in a decent karaoke version of Lloyd Bentsen, but, unfortunately, Palin declined to play Dan Quayle. That left Joe sounding like an ancient pol being generically vice-presidential. Sarah, at her best, sounded like the citizen-politician this country's founders intended. She hasn't voted 397 times against this or that in the U.S. Senate, because she's been running a state, and a town, and a commercial fishing operation. She's a doer, not a talker, which is why so many of my fellow professional talkers disdain her.

When Regular Joe Six-Pack Bluecollar Biden tried to match her on the Main Street cred, it rang slightly wacky. "Look," he said, "All you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington or go to Katie's Restaurant or walk into Home Depot with me, where I spend a lot of time." Why? Is he moonlighting as a checkout clerk on the evening shift? Or is he stalking that nice lady in Lighting Fixtures? As for Katie's Restaurant, ah, I'm sure it was grand but apparently it closed in 1990. In the Diner of the Mind, the refills are endless, and Sen. Joe is sitting shootin' the breeze over a cuppa joe with a couple other regular joes on adjoining stools while Betty-Jo, the sassy waitress who's tough as nails but with a heart of gold, says Ol' Joe, the short-order cook who's doing his Sloppy Joes just the way the senator likes 'em, really appreciates the way that, despite 78 years in Washington, Joe Biden is still just the same regular Joe Six-Pack he was when he and Norman Rockwell first came in for a sarsaparilla all those years ago. But, alas, while he was jetting off for one-to-one talks with the Deputy Tourism Minister of Waziristan, the old neighborhood changed.

In a conventional presidential environment, Bidenesque fake authenticity would be enough. Up against Sarah Palin's authentic authenticity, I'm not so sure. All I know is that the McCain campaign should have her out on the road and doing every interview she can over this final month. Oh, and send her snowmobiling hubby to Maine, which splits its Electoral College votes. He'll put their Second Congressional District back in the red camp, and the way things are looking that could be the 270th vote that saves McCain's bacon.

from The Orange County Register, October 3rd 2008

#75 2009-09-15 00:34:52

Liliya

Предпереводческий анализ Л.Ибраевой, Е.Худорожковой, О.Пестеревой
Текст 3. « With a wink and a smile» by Mark Stein.
1.Mark Stein  или Марк Штейн (род. 1959) -  канадский писатель, политический комментатор и культурный критик. Он написал пять книг, в том числе "Америка в одиночестве: Конец мира, как мы его знаем, Нью-Йорк таймс". Он опубликовал в газетах и журналах, а также появляется на радио-шоу такие, как Раш Лимбо и Хью Хьюитт.
2.Сатирическая статья о политике.
3.Имена собственные:
          3.1.Топонимы:
      Switzerland – Швейцария
      Iraq – Ирак
      Afghanistan - Афганистан
      Bosnia – Босния
      Darfur – Дарфур
      Georgia – Грузия
      Wales – Уэльс
       Union Street
       Wilmington
       Maine – штат Мэн
       Delawar – штат Деловер
       Waziristan -Вазиристан - горный регион на северо-западе Пакистана на границе с Афганистаном.
         3.2. Имена:
         Barack Obama (англ. Barack Hussein Obama II; род. 4 августа 1961) — действующий (с 20 января 2009 года) 44-й президент Соединённых Штатов Америки. До избрания президентом был младшим сенатором США от штата Иллинойс.
         Lloyd Bentsen (Англ. Ллойд Бентсен Миллард младший, 11 февраля   1923, Мишн, Техас - 23 мая 2006, Хьюстон, Техас) - политик США, демократ. 69-Й Секретарь Департамента казначейства США
        Dan Quayle  (англ. James Danforth «Dan» Quayle; 4 февраля 1947, Индианаполис) — американский политик, Член Палаты представителей США от своего родного штата Индиана (1977—1981), сенатор США от Индианы (1981—1989). Вице-президент США при президенте Дж. Буше-старшем с 1989 по 1993. В 1992 вместе с Бушем баллотировался на второй срок, но потерпел поражение от Билла Клинтона и Альберта Гора.
        Sarah Palin (англ. Sarah Louise Heath Palin; 11 февраля 1964, Сэндпойнт, Айдахо, США) — губернатор штата Аляска с 2006 по 2009. Член Республиканской партии.
        John MacCain (англ. John Sidney McCain III; род. 29 августа 1936 на а/б ВВС США «Коко Соло») — старший сенатор США от штата Аризона с 1987. Член Республиканской партии c 1982. Основной кандидат от республиканцев на выборах Президента США 2008 года, где потерпел поражение от демократа Барака Обамы.
       Laura Ingraham (родилась19 июня 1964) - американский радиоведущий, писатель и политический комментатор
       Stevie Wonder (англ. Stevie Wonder; 13 мая 1950, Сагинау) — американский соул-певец, композитор, пианист и продюсер
        Mitt Romney (англ. Willard Mitt Romney; р. 12 марта 1947, Детройт) — американский политик. Сын бизнесмена и политика Джорджа Ромни.
        Norman Rockwell  -  американский художник и иллюстратор.
        David Axelrod (родился 22 февраля 1955) американский политический консультант базирующейся в Чикаго, штат Иллинойс. Он известен прежде всего как на главный советник президента Барака Обамы, первый в 2004 кампании Обамы в сенате США в штате Иллинойс, а позднее главный стратег президентской кампании Обамы 2008. После выборов 2008 года он был назначен старшим советником президента Обамы
         Joe Biden (англ. Joseph Robinette (Joe) Biden, Jr.; 20 ноября 1942, Скрентон, Пенсильвания) — американский политик, член демократической партии, 47-й вице-президент США. Вступил в должность одновременно с Бараком Обамой 20 января 2009 года. До избрания вице-президентом был сенатором США от штата Делавэр (с 1973 года).
         Ahmadinejad Махму́д Ахмадинежа́д (info) (перс. محمود احمدینژاد mahmūd-e âhmadinežâd; род. в 28 октября 1956 в Гармсаре) — иранский политический и государственный деятель. Действующий, шестой президент Исламской Республики Иран. Был избран на этот пост 24 июня 2005. До президентства занимал пост губернатора провинции Ардебиль и мэра Тегерана.
     3.3.Этнонимы:
         American Citizens – американские граждане.
4.Реалии:
GOP Convention – съезд республиканской партии
ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge) - Арктический Национальный заповедник дикой природы
U. S. Senate – Сенат Соединенных Штатов америки
The Deputy Tourism Minister of Waziristan – Заместитель Министра туризма в Вазиристане
Second Congressional District – второй избирательный округ
Emir – мэр(мус.)
             5.То, что не вошло в другие пункты:
           « in politics as in pop, the tune is more important than the words» - в политике, как в поп- музыке, мотив важнее   
            слов.
          «is he moonlighting as a checkout clerk on the evening shift» - разве он подрабатывает клерком в ночную смену.
          Cardboard elk – картонный лосьэ
          Without preconditions – без предварительных условий.
          Tax cuts – снижение налогов.
          Сivil War – гражданская война.
          Genocid – геноцид, истребление нации.
          Wink – подмигивание.

Board footer

Написать администратору
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson