текст 25, Костряков

#30 2011-12-25 14:55:04

Re: Материалы на зачет

Колмогорова - 31

#31 2011-12-26 18:45:46

administrator
Administrator

40. ABC News. A federal judge today sentenced impeached Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich to 14 years in prison, giving little weight to Blagojevich's first-ever apology this morning since his arrest three years ago.

"The jury didn't believe you and neither did I," U.S. District Court Judge James Zagel said.

Blagojevich was convicted on 18 corruption charges, including the scheme to peddle the vacated Senate seat of Barack Obama.

Blagojevich started the day telling the court that he was "unbelievably sorry" for his "terrible mistakes," his last chance to convince the federal judge that he deserved some mercy when he was sentenced on corruption charges.

"I'm here convicted of crimes. The jury decided I was guilty. I am accepting of it. I acknowledge it…" Blagojevich told Zagel. "I want to apologize to the people of Illinois, to the court, for the mistakes I have made. … I never set out to break the law.   "I never set out to cross lines. I have nobody to blame but myself for my stupidity and actions and the things I did and I thought I could do. I'm not blaming anybody," Blagojevich said.

Prosecutors argued that he has failed the people of Illinois and instead "further eroded the public's confidence in government and government officials."

41. POSTVILLE, Iowa —A group of Jewish boys in yarmulkes and winter coats walked past the "Taste of Mexico" restaurant on Lawler Street last week on their way home from school. Minutes later, a Somali man wearing a keffiyeh scarf around his neck passed by, perhaps on his way to the town's makeshift mosque on Main Street.

This improbably diverse rural town of about 2,000 people in northeastern Iowa suffered a near-fatal shock more than three years ago when a federal immigration raid scooped up 20 percent of its population in a single day. An ultra-Orthodox Lubavitcher Jewish family from Brooklyn bought the town's defunct meatpacking plant in 1987 and attracted workers from Israel, Eastern Europe, and Latin America. The plant became the largest producer of kosher beef in the world. When the plant was raided one spring morning in May 2008, most of the workers on shift were Guatemalan and Mexican, and undocumented. Many workers later said they had been physically or sexually abused at the plant, and at least 57 minors were illegally employed there, some as young as 13.

42. By Laura Rozen | The Envoy. A day after the Pentagon acknowledged that an unmanned American reconnaissance drone went missing while on an operation in western Afghanistan late last week, Defense officials still smarting from the incident have come forward to dismiss Iranian claims that the drone was brought down by hostile activity. And American cyber experts similarly expressed skepticism over Iranian contentions that hackers based in Iran brought down the drone by penetrating its software or jamming its signals.

"The one thing I can tell you is we don't have any indications that the UAV [unmanned aerial vehicle], that we know we no longer have, was brought down by hostile activity of any kind," Pentagon spokesman Capt. John Kirby told reporters at a Pentagon press briefing Monday otherwise short of many further details on the embarrassing incident, ABC News's Luis Martinez reported. "As it says in the statement, the controllers lost control and, without getting into specific details, I think we're comfortable stating that there's no indication of hostile activity."

43. By GRETCHEN REYNOLDS. What happens inside the skull of a soccer player who repeatedly heads a soccer ball? That question motivated a provocative new study of the brains of experienced players that has prompted discussion and debate in the soccer community, and some anxiety among those of us with soccer-playing offspring.

For the study, researchers at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York recruited 34 adults, men and women. All of the volunteers had played soccer since childhood and now competed year-round in adult soccer leagues. Each filled out a detailed questionnaire developed especially for this study to determine how many times they had headed a soccer ball in the previous year, as well as whether they had experienced any known concussions in the past.

Then the players completed computerized tests of their memory and other cognitive skills and had their brains scanned, using a sophisticated new M.R.I. technique known as diffusion tensor imaging, which can find structural changes in the brain that would not be visible during most scans.

44. BBC, Paris. French President Nicolas Sarkozy has warned that "never has the risk of disintegration been greater" for Europe in a speech in Marseille.

He was addressing a gathering of European leaders of the centre right.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said it would take years to overcome the crisis but "we need to have more Europe".

EU leaders are preparing for a key summit in Brussels, where they will be trying to clinch a deal on how to tackle the eurozone debt crisis.

Mr Sarkozy said Europe was in much danger.

"Never has Europe been so necessary. Never has it been in so much danger," he said.

"Never have so many countries wanted to join Europe. Never has the risk of a disintegration of Europe been so great. Europe is facing an extraordinarily dangerous situation."

He said the eurozone economies still had a few weeks to decide, but that time was working against them.

45. Business reporter, BBC News. Spain's recently-elected Prime Minister, Mariano Rajoy, faces a potentially unsolvable economic dilemma.

He may also face a major financial crisis, if the latest plan to rescue the euro fails.

Only last week Spain was staring into the same financial abyss that had already swallowed Greece, Portugal and the Irish Republic, and was sucking in Italy.

That was before markets came alive with talk of an imminent bailout of Italy by the European Central Bank.

The Spanish government's cost of borrowing money on the financial markets for 10 years - a popular barometer of lender fear - peaked at a rate of 6.7% before falling back on the rumours.

That's close to the level where other eurozone governments turned to their neighbours for a bailout.

In comparison, Germany only has to pay an interest rate of 2.1%.

46. BBC News. Scotland storm blackout hitting thousands

Police have told people in Scotland not to travel, as severe winds of up to 165mph are battering the country, leaving thousands without power.

As the Met Office issued its highest warning, a red alert, hundreds of schools have shut and bridge and road closures are causing disruption.

England, Wales and Northern Ireland are also being hit by wind and rain.

Police in Strathclyde, Dumfries and Galloway, Central Scotland and Lothian and Borders advised against all travel.

A gust of 89mph has been recorded in Tiree. The Ski area at Aonach Mor, just outside Fort William in the Highlands has reported a wind gust of 130mph (209kph). The Met Office said winds at Cairngorm Summit had reached up to 165mph (264kph).

47. BBC. Nasa's Mars rover Opportunity has found slivers of a bright material that looks very much like it is gypsum (calcium sulphate).

If confirmed, it would be the most unambiguous signal of water activity yet found on Mars by this mission, which manages to keep on rolling.

Creaking and arthritic it may be, but after nearly eight years, the rover is still delivering remarkable science.

Lead scientist Steve Squyres said the find was "so cool".

"To me, this is the single most powerful piece of evidence for liquid water at Mars that has been discovered by the Opportunity rover," the Cornell University researcher told journalists.

48. BBC. Astronomers have confirmed the existence of an Earth-like planet in the "habitable zone" around a star not unlike our own.

The planet, Kepler 22-b, lies about 600 light-years away and is about 2.4 times the size of Earth, and has a temperature of about 22C.

It is the closest confirmed planet yet to one like ours - an "Earth 2.0".

However, the team does not yet know if Kepler 22-b is made mostly of rock, gas or liquid.

During the conference at which the result was announced, the Kepler team also said that it had spotted some 1,094 new candidate planets - nearly doubling the telescope's haul of potential far-flung worlds.

49. CNN (PEOPLE.com) - Sinead O'Connor says she'll wed again on her 45th birthday

Sinead O'Connor is ready to walk down the aisle - ASAP.

"With enormous joy myself and my beloved boyfriend Barry Herridge will be getting married tomorrow, December 8th 2011 at 'an un-disclosed location' in my absolute dream wedding ceremony," the "Nothing Compares 2 U" singer writes in an announcement on her official website.

"[I am a] very happy girl," adds the singer, whose physical transformation this year captured readers' attention.

O'Connor will have another reason to smile on Thursday: it's her 45th birthday.

This will be the fourth marriage for the Irish singer, who divorced longtime friend and collaborator Steve Cooney in April, eight months after they said "I do."

O'Connor, who has four children from her previous relationships, wed music producer John Reynolds in 1989 and journalist Nicholas Sommerlad in 2001.

50. COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A Texas parolee now suspected in a deadly Craigslist robbery scheme was mistakenly released from Ohio custody last summer not once but twice.
Richard Beasley, 52, should never have been released from the county jail in Akron, where he was being held on drug charges this summer, said Texas officials and the head of a national commission that oversees prisoner-transfer rules.

The brother of a victim whose body was found last month called Beasley's release tragic. Ohio is now investigating what went wrong, an inquiry that state officials called unprecedented.

Authorities say they are planning to charge Beasley with killing three men and wounding a third between August and November.

Yet Beasley left jail on bond July 13, was rearrested July 14 after a traffic stop, then let go again despite the existence of Texas warrants asking he be kept in custody, according to interviews and records reviewed by The Associated Press.

51. PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The ousted former head of Philadelphia's public schools says she's only taking what's rightfully hers by applying for unemployment benefits after receiving a $900,000 contract buyout.

Arlene Ackerman tells WCAU-TV she received about $400,000 after taxes and lawyer fees as part of the severance package settled on in August.

The former superintendent is eligible for the state maximum of $573 a week, based on her former salary of about $350,000.

Ackerman told WCAU   she "didn't win the jackpot" by collecting the severance package. She said it was money she was entitled to because the district broke a contract that would have paid her through 2014.

Ackerman's leadership saw increased test scores and graduation rates but also clashes with community members, the teachers' union and elected officials.

52. MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama teacher who accepts a Christmas ham or a $25 gift card from a student is breaking Alabama's ethics law. The possible penalty? Up to a year in jail and a $6,000 fine for the teacher who accepts the gift.

The law, which took effect earlier this year and is considered one of the toughest in the country, limits what public officials and employees can receive as gifts to a "de minimis" value, but it doesn't define that amount. With most schools about to get out for the holidays, the State Ethics Commission has been flooded with calls about what students can give.

"The bottom line for me is, our teachers are being forced to make a decision between breaking the law or breaking a child's heart," said Amy O'Neal, a teacher at Pine Crest Elementary School about 30 miles southeast of Birmingham.

In an advisory opinion Wednesday, the Ethics Commission said "hams, turkeys or gift cards with a specific monetary value are not permissible." Items of nominal value, such as homemade cookies, coffee mugs and fruit baskets, are acceptable. The commission didn't give a dollar amount for student-teacher gifts.

53. LONDON (Reuters) - Shan Jie has been working at the Radisson hotel in central London since July, waitressing in one of the restaurants or setting up for conferences.

The friendly 24-year-old laughs as she remembers how many glasses she broke by accident when she first started. Now she has settled into her job, where she is the only Chinese employee.

"Some of my colleagues ask me how to say things in Chinese. When they see me, they always say 'ni hao' (hello)," she said.

European bosses are saying "ni hao" a lot more these days.

Over the past couple of years companies across the region have begun to offer Chinese students internships, sometimes with Beijing's backing, sometimes without.

Everybody wins: the local businesses get a link to China and an employee who speaks fluent Chinese for any Chinese customers, and the student gets workplace experience overseas.

54. LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - "Avatar" director James Cameron has been hit with a lawsuit by a writer who claims that the plot for the hit sci-fi movie was lifted from his own project.

In the suit, which was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court Thursday, Eric Ryder claims that he entered into an agreement with Cameron's production company, Lightstorm Entertainment, to develop a movie based on his story "KRZ 2068."

According to the suit, the project was envisioned as "an environmentally themed 3-D epic about a corporation's colonization and plundering of a distant moon's lush and wondrous natural setting."

After working on the project for nearly two years, Ryder alleges, Lightstorm put the kibosh on it, explaining that "no one would be interested in an environmentally themed science fiction feature film."

55. LOS ANGELES (AP) — Zachary Levi has performed at the Oscars, and now he's hoping to pump dignity into the Spike Video Game Awards.

"As a gamer, I definitely want to bring as much legitimacy and respect to the game community as I possibly can," said the "Chuck" star, who performed a song from Disney's "Tangled" with Mandy Moore earlier this year at the Academy Awards, and is serving as the host of Saturday's ninth annual Spike Video Game Awards.

The show, which will be broadcast live from Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, will honor outstanding achievements within the gaming industry over the past year, as well as debut never-before-seen footage from such upcoming games as "Metal Gear Solid: Rising," ''Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 Patriots" and "BioShock Infinite."

56. By The Week's Editorial Staff | The Week.   A massive flying object flashes near the planet and then vanishes — sending UFO enthusiasts into a frenzy

The video: UFO believers are touting new evidence that E.T. is out there. Video taken by NASA's STEREO spacecraft (watch it below) shows a giant, glowing object mysteriously appearing alongside Mercury before vanishing completely. Some viewers are convinced that what NASA cameras captured is actually a gigantic alien spaceship. "It definitely looks like a ship to me, and very obviously, it's cloaked," says YouTube user siniXster in a viral video.

The reaction: "Is that a giant alien death star ship parked over by Mercury? asks Hamilton Nolan at Gawker. No, it's not. "Professional scientists" explain that it's "actually an image of Mercury itself, which appears due to the way the telescope imagery is double-processed to enhance its clarity." Yes, sorry to be a killjoy, says Ian O'Neill at Discovery News. But "sadly for siniXster, conspiracy theorists, ufologists, and Star Trek buffs, there's no Klingons off Mercury's starboard bow." I blame those "pesky scientists." Why must "they have an answer for everything? So annoying."

57. BENTONVILLE, Ark. (AP) — Wal-Mart has opened an internal investigation to determine whether its overseas operations have complied with U.S. federal law as it pertains to permitting, licensing and inspections.

The Bentonville, Ark., retailer offered few details about the investigation in a quarterly report filed Thursday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The company said that it opened the investigation after reviewing policies, procedures and internal controls tied to its global anti-corruption program. It said that it is taking "appropriate remedial measures."

All companies doing business overseas must comply with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, which broadly deals with bribery and accounting rules.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has hired outside lawyers and other advisers and has notified the U.S. Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission.

58. LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Khloe Kardashian could have another hit on her hands -- but not the kind that the "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" star would hope for.

In a lawsuit filed Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court, Chantal Spears -- also known as Ronald S. Spears -- claims that Kardashian and 10 other unidentified defendants brutally attacked her.

According to the suit, Kardashian and her crew "assaulted and battered plaintiff by violently striking plaintiff in and about her body."

The attack -- which the suit claims was unprovoked -- allegedly took place December 5, 2009 in Hollywood.

The suit goes on to state that the attack caused "extreme and severe mental anguish and physical pain," and the injuries were so extensive that Spears had to consult surgeons.

59. (Reuters) - Apple's iPhone edged past major news events, celebrities and pop stars as the top searched term on the Web in 2011, according to Yahoo!

The digital media company said the smartphone proved more popular than reality television celebrity Kim Kardashian, pop star Katy Perry and singer and actress Jennifer Lopez, who placed in the top five.

American Casey Anthony, the woman acquitted of the murder of her young daughter after a highly publicized trial, was No. 2.

"This is the first time since 2002 that we have had a gadget at No.1, which is an iPhone." Vera Chan, a Web trend analyst at Yahoo!, said in a conference call announcing the results of the review now in its 10th year.

"Even though the product has been around for four years it just became such a major news story," she added.

60. IRVINE, Calif. (AP) — An Irvine couple who suspected their 15-year-old son of smoking turned to a man believed to be relied on in their church to violently discipline children, authorities said.

The parents asked Paul Kim, 39, to discipline their son after finding a lighter in his possession, dropping the boy off at Kim's Chino Hills home with permission for the beating, San Bernardino County sheriff's spokesperson Cindy Bachmann said Saturday.

Kim hit the child with a metal pole about a dozen times, causing severe bruising on his legs, according to Bachmann. The pole was about an inch in diameter, investigators said.

An adult at the boy's school saw the bruises and called Irvine police, who in turn informed San Bernardino County officials, she said.

The names of the boy and his parents were not released.

61. RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Police in Brazil's southeastern Sao Paulo state are investigating the theft of 50 metric tons (55 U.S. tons) of corn from a moving train.

A police report says the thieves greased the train tracks, making the wheels of the 54-wagon locomotive skid and slow down before they used a tow truck with a hook to remove the corn-filled containers.

The report says the theft occurred as the train traveled through a rural area about 180 miles (300 kilometers) north of the capital. The train was headed to the southeastern port of Santos with 60 metric tons (66 U.S. tons) of corn and sugar.

The case is reminiscent of Wild West robberies, where bandits on horses stole from moving trains.

62. ROME (AP) — Pope Benedict XVI says he knows Christmas this year will be difficult, in an acknowledgement of the economic crisis gripping much of the West. But he is urging the faithful to remember there's more to the holiday than gift-buying.

Benedict spoke Sunday while visiting a parish in a working-class neighborhood on the outskirts of Rome. Italians are facing new and higher taxes as the country struggles with a government debt crisis.

The pope told parishioners he knows that Christimas will be "very difficult," but that he wanted to wish all a happy holiday. Benedict said that preparing for Christmas "doesn't only mean buying" gifts. Later, greeting pilgrims in St. Peter's Square at the Vatican, he said real joy is linked to something deeper.

63. BRUSSELS (AP) — A Belgian nurse who saved the lives of hundreds of American soldiers during the Battle of the Bulge at the end of World War II was given a U.S. award for valor Monday — 67 years late.

Congolese-born Augusta Chiwy, now 93, received the Civilian Award for Humanitarian Service medal from U.S. Ambassador Howard Gutman at a ceremony in the military museum in Brussels.

"She helped, she helped, and she helped," Gutman said at the ceremony. He said the long delay in presenting the award was because it was assumed that Chiwy had been killed when a bomb destroyed her hospital.

Chiwy had volunteered to assist in an aid station in the town of Bastogne, where U.S. soldiers in their thousands were being treated by a single doctor in December 1944 and January 1945. Chiwy braved the gunfire, helping whoever she could, and saving the lives of hundreds of American GIs.

64. BBC News. Virgin Galactic said its first passenger flights will not occur before 2013.

Sir Richard Branson's space tourism venture said it hopes to launch the service in two years time, but even that date is not fixed.

The firm's commercial director, Stephen Attenborough, told the BBC that its customers' safety is paramount.

Test flights are currently underway, with rocket-powered tests scheduled to start next year.

Almost 500 people have bought tickets.

Sir Richard had originally hoped the first commercial spacecraft, SpaceShip Two, would take off as early as 2007. However, Mr Attenborough stressed there never was an official date set for the inaugural launch.

"This is a programme that can't have a hard-end date as safety is number one priority," Mr Attenborough said.

65. Beijing (AP). State media are reporting that people celebrating the Lunar New Year by setting off fireworks in Beijing caused 194 fires in the Chinese capital, double the number from last year.

The official Xinhua News Agency said Tuesday that the fires were not serious, but added that 388 people were hurt by fireworks during the first six days of the holiday period.
The tradition of setting off fireworks to ward off evil spirits results in injuries and fires every year, with the biggest fire during this year's holiday period gutting a five-star hotel in northeast China. There were no casualties.

Xinhua said Beijing mobilized a force of 840,000 police and civilians to help prevent firework-induced disasters during the holiday.

66. MAYFIELD HEIGHTS, Ohio (AP) — A northeast Ohio middle school teacher says an employee at a local Target store told her she couldn't shop with about 25 students buying items for charity.

Sandy Bean tells The Plain Dealer newspaper she and other Mayfield teachers have for about five years taken students to the Mayfield Heights Target to buy items for a Cleveland-area crisis nursery. She says they spend about $2,000.

She says she called Monday to tell a manager they'd be coming Friday and was told there weren't enough cashiers.

The Minneapolis-based Target Inc. apologized Tuesday, saying the store leader contacted the teacher and the students will be shopping there Friday.

A phone listing for a Sandra Bean in Cleveland rang unanswered Tuesday evening. A message seeking comment was sent to her likely Facebook account.

67. LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Lady Gaga towered over other female musicians in 2011, heading a list of top earning women with an estimated $90 million in income, according to a Forbes.com survey released on Wednesday.

The "Born This Way" singer and performance artist made more than double her nearest rival -- country/pop artist Taylor Swift -- thanks to multiple endorsement deals and an estimated $1.3 million nightly gross ticket sales from her concert tour.

Swift earned about $45 million, thanks to her hit album "Speak Now", perfume line, and other deals, just ahead of "Teenage Dream" singer Katy Perry with $44 million.

Forbes.com drew up its list from data on pre-tax income compiled through record sales, touring data and interviews with music lawyers, managers and concert promoters.

68. LONDON (Reuters) - Michael Jackson's daughter Paris gave a rare televised interview this week, during which she discussed life with her late father and a budding acting career.

The 13-year-old's appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" has already been taped and airs on Thursday.

According to a partial transcript released to publicize the show, Paris said that as a younger child she felt it was "stupid" wearing a mask when she went out in public with her famous father.

Jackson, who died aged 50 in 2009, would sometimes give his children masks to wear to protect them from the frenzy of media and public attention that accompanied their every appearance.

"Yeah, I'm like this is stupid, why am I wearing a mask?" Paris told show host Ellen DeGeneres.
"But I kind of realized the older I got, like, he only tried to protect us and he'd explain that to us too."

69. TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — The grandson of the founder of a hot dog diner in Ohio made famous on TV's "M.A.S.H." was charged Wednesday with stealing more than $100,000 from the family business.

The charges stem from a yearlong family battle over control of Tony Packo's, a restaurant chain whose hot dog sauce and pickles are sold in stores across the nation.

Tony Packo III, who is executive vice president of Tony Packo's Inc., and company controller Cathleen Dooley were both charged with aggravated theft and face up to three years in prison if convicted.

A message seeking comment was left at Packo's home and with his attorney, Kevin Devaney. Dooley's attorney, Mark Jacobs, declined to comment Wednesday.

Descendants of the restaurant's namesake this summer began accusing each other of financial misdeeds and mismanagement and made their own bids to buy the company. A private restaurant group backed by Tony Packo III and his father, Tony Packo Jr., won the bidding in October for the restaurant chain.

70. BBC NEWS. Authorities in Beijing have issued new rules requiring users of microblog sites to register personal details.

New users of Weibo - Chinese equivalents of Twitter - will now have to submit their real names. Existing users have to register in three months.

Those who refuse to do so will lose the ability to publish microblog entries.

The move comes with Chinese people increasingly using Weibo platforms to criticise government policies or vent anger over particular incidents.

Liu Ruisheng, a media researcher at the official Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, argues that that improper Weibo usage is a widespread phenomena.

"Real name accreditation for Weibo sites is yet to be made universal; anonymous and irresponsible 'micro communication' is indeed fanning the spread of rumours," Mr Liu told the China Youth Daily.

#32 2011-12-26 18:53:43

diana_b

текст 67 - Егорушкина

#33 2011-12-26 19:26:52

FessHP

текст 44 - Токманцев

#34 2011-12-27 00:07:20

Svetlana@K*

текст 62 - Мурашова Светлана, ФО-391601