You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-13 14:10:43

administrator
Administrator

Статья для третьего курса

Берем текст из красноярского конкурса

http://news.sfu-kras.ru/files/ANGLIYSKI … _PROZA.pdf

THEY CAME FROM OUT OF THE SKY

I find it discouraging—and a bit depressing—when I notice the unequal treatment afforded by the media to UFO believers on the one hand, and on the other, to those who believe in an invisible supreme being who inhabits the sky. Especially as the latter belief applies to the whole Jesus-Messiah-Son-of-God fable.

You may have noticed that, in the media, UFO believers are usually referred to as buffs, a term used to diminish and marginalize them by relegating them to the ranks of hobbyists and mere enthusiasts. They are made to seem like kooks and quaint dingbats who have the nerve to believe that, in an observable universe of trillions upon trillions of stars, and most likely many hundreds of billions of potentially inhabitable planets, some of those planets may have produced life-forms capable of doing things that we can‟t do.

On the other hand those who believe in an eternal, all-powerful being, a being who demands to be loved and adored unconditionally and who punishes and rewards according to his whims are thought to be worthy, upright, credible people. This, in spite of the large numbers of believers who are clearly close-minded fanatics.

To my way of thinking, there is every bit as much evidence for the existence of UFOs as there is for the existence of God. Probably far more. At least in the case of UFOs there have been countless taped and filmed—and, by the way, unexplained—sightings from all over the world, along with documented radar evidence seen by experienced military and civilian radar operators.

This does not even begin to include the widespread testimony of not only highly trained, experienced military and civilian pilots who are selected for their jobs, in part, for their above-average eyesight and mental stability, but also of equally well-trained, experienced law-enforcement officers. Such pilots and law-enforcement people are known to be serious, sober individuals who would have quite a bit to lose were they to be associated with anything resembling kooky, outlandish beliefs. Nonetheless, they have taken the risk of revealing their experiences because they are convinced they have seen something objectively real that they consider important.

2. All of these accounts are ignored by the media.

Granted, the world of UFO-belief has its share of kooks, nuts and fringe people, but have you ever listened to some of these religious true-believers? Have you ever heard of any extreme, bizarre behavior and outlandish claims associated with religious zealots? Could any of them be considered kooks, nuts or dingbats? A fair person would have to say yes.

But the marginal people in these two groups don‟t matter in this argument. What matters is the prejudice and superstition built into the media coverage of the two sets of beliefs. One is treated reverently and accepted as received truth, the other is treated laughingly and dismissed out of hand.

As evidence of the above premise, I offer one version of a typical television news story heard each year on the final Friday of Lent:

“Today is Good Friday, observed by Christians worldwide as a day that commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, whose death redeemed the sins of mankind.”

Here is the way it should be written:

“Today is Good Friday, observed worldwide by Jesus buffs as the day on which the popular, bearded cultural figure, sometimes referred to as The Messiah, was allegedly crucified and—according to legend—died for mankind‟s so-called sins. Today kicks off a „holy‟ weekend that culminates on Easter Sunday, when, it is widely believed, this dead „savior‟—who also, by the way, claimed to be the son of a sky-dwelling, invisible being known as God—mysteriously „rose from the dead.‟

“According to the legend, by volunteering to be killed and actually going through with it, Jesus saved every person who has ever lived—and every person who ever

will live—from an eternity of suffering in a fiery region popularly known as hell, providing—so the story goes—that the person to be „saved‟ firmly believes this rather fanciful tale.”

That would be an example of unbiased news reporting. Don‟t wait around for it to happen. The aliens will land first.

George Carlin «When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?»

#2 2011-03-13 14:11:46

administrator
Administrator

Re: Статья для третьего курса

На пятницу: предпереводческий анализ (автор, произведение и все из первой части)

#3 2011-03-23 15:37:50

necta

Кусочек на пятницу, 25 марта:

The Dumbing Down of the American Mind
5 октября 2007 г.
by Doug Soderstrom, Ph.D.

There is a very dangerous phenomenon that seems to be occurring in the United States of America; something that I refer to as “the dumbing-down of the American mind,” a nearly willful tendency for Americans to forgo reality in favor of believing what they want to believe. But how could such a thing have occurred in such a proud nation, one that, according to George Bush, has become known as a bastion of freedom and democracy, a bright light for the whole world to see?

In my opinion, there are five factors that can explain such a phenomenon. First, there is the dumbing-down of education in our country. After having taught psychology at the college level for the past 39 years, I have seen our standards (what we essentially expect our students to accomplish in order to prove that they have learned something of value) go straight to hell! I began my career as an Instructor of Psychology back in 1966 at a very small junior college located only 60 miles south of the Canadian border, one with an enrollment of only 180 students, no doubt, a very cold and humble place in which to begin a teaching career!

And can you believe it, I actually required my students to read an entire textbook during the semester. And nobody got upset Not the administrators, not the parents, nor even the students! However, today, if I were to do such a thing, I would have an extremely difficult time getting enough students to enroll in my classes in order to keep my job. The problem: A very determined standoff between the remaining few teachers willing to maintain standards versus a generation or two of students who are nearly unwilling to learn, students who have “apparently gone on strike” with an attitude of “I dare you to force me to learn!” The result: The fact that leniency (a lowering of academic standards in our country) has won out at the expense of quality education in that of our high schools as well as that of our colleges.

Consequently, in my opinion, our country is slowly but surely becoming “a nation of near retards,” a collective group of individuals who have become so absurdly self-absorbed and disinterested in acquiring knowledge that we, as a nation, are slowly but surеlу losing touch with the reality of what is actually going on in the world! The best example is our population’s general sense of ignorance in relation to world history, and especially inability (or perhaps even unwillingness) to understand our own country’s complicity in relation to the 9/11 attacks upon our nation.

#4 2011-04-26 18:25:18

necta

Businessweek

Marketing April 21, 2011,

Starbucks Targets Folks Who Shun Starbucks

Seattle's Best Coffee makes progress as a brand for middle-market java drinkers

By Leslie Patton

As a brand manager and later as global strategy chief at Starbucks (SBUX), Michelle Gass championed such popular innovations as green straws, domed frappe lids, and the Frappucchino. In August of 2009, Chief Executive Officer Howard Schultz handed Gass a challenge far removed from Starbucks's core: Remake Seattle's Best Coffee, the tiny brand the coffee giant had acquired eight years earlier.

Today Seattle's Best, which has 325 namesake cafes (vs. more than 17,000 at its larger sibling), is sold in more than 50,000 locations in the U.S. and Canada, 12 times as many as a year ago. While the brand remains several years away from Schultz's billion-dollar sales target, Gass has made progress repositioning it as a middle-market offering for folks who wouldn't be caught dead at a Starbucks. As president of Seattle's Best, she's put her coffee on passenger jets, into vending machines, on cruise ships, and in more grocery stores. This month the chain will open 10 cafes inside Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) in Canada. "She's brought a lot of energy and focus to a brand that had not been performing to expectations," says Starbucks board member Olden Lee.

A chemical engineer with an MBA from the University of Washington, Gass managed the Crest toothpaste brand at Procter & Gamble (PG) before joining Starbucks in 1996. She says her background has allowed her to pioneer new menu items while keeping a close eye on the bottom line. She quickly won cred inside the company for data-driven presentations. "When everybody was talking off the cuff, Michelle had the numbers," recalls Gerry Lopez, a former Starbucks executive who is now CEO of theater operator AMC Entertainment. She also was unafraid to deliver bad news during Monday afternoon meetings with Schultz, he says. In 2008, when testing of a new sorbetto beverage for Starbucks "didn't quite pan out," Lopez says, she had the numbers to prove it. After unraveling its higher shipping costs and how long it took baristas to clean the stuff up, Gass says she went to Schultz and recommended pulling the plug on sorbetto—which he did.

At Seattle's Best, Gass has tried a straightforward approach to selling. Gone are the stereotypical coffee scenes long featured on the bags: steaming mugs of joe, cats in windows. Instead, Gass placed Seattle's Best coffees into five levels—with numbered packaging designed to quickly explain the differences. No. 1 (gold bag; a light roast "for those who like to stare up at the blue sky, then drink it") suggests a far milder experience than No. 5 (purple bag; a dark roast requiring "courage and confidence to add to your own"). The idea, Gass says, is to appeal to Americans who drink generic brew and may be enticed by a premium brand minus Starbucks's class statement. "People don't drink no-name colas, but lots of people drink no-name coffees," she says. "That's because no one's come in and said, 'Don't accept a bad cup of coffee.' "

To reach Schultz's $1 billion revenue goal, Gass wants to put the brew in 100,000 retail locations. Prime targets: mass retailers and convenience, drug, and grocery stores, as well as mom-and-pop businesses. Gass persuaded Lopez to brew Seattle's Best in 300 AMC cinemas. In February, Delta Air Lines (DAL) agreed to serve it on board all flights. It's also sold at Subway, Burger King, and Royal Caribbean Cruises (RCL), and is being rolled out in vending machines in offices, hospitals, and college campuses nationwide.

Gass's relentless push is risky, says Jack Russo, an analyst at Edward Jones. "When you have company-owned stores, they're your stores, it's your baby," he says. "When you're essentially giving control to someone who's paying you a monthly royalty, you lose a little bit of control." Gass says she must scale up to compete with Starbucks: "With our big sister upstairs who owns coffee, the only way we have a chance to get a piece of that is to be disruptive."

The bottom line: Starbucks is trying to perk up Seattle's Best—and meet a $1 billion revenue goal—by targeting drinkers who never visit its flagship cafes.

Patton is a reporter for Bloomberg News.

#5 2011-04-26 18:26:19

necta

Задание: только ППА всей статьи

Board footer

Написать администратору
© Copyright 2002–2005 Rickard Andersson